Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help making a set of external computer speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmclaughlin

Hello,
My son is interested in making things that his iPod can play through. Right now he is interested in taking an old radio, pulling out the guts, put in new guts that allow him to attach his iPod. So he has new technology (iPod) playing through old technology (the old radio).

He came up with one in which he used cheap computer speakers and put them in the empty radio case. By doing this all the proper connections and controls were already in place. He just had to fit it all in the radio body.

But, he wants more freedom of design...meaning putting the volume knob (and any others) where he wants. The store bought computer speakers do not allow these control to be separated.

I know next to nothing about any of this.

Could someone point us to schematics or offer help as to how to go about getting the proper components and connect them?

Thank you very much.

What power level do you require?

What battery/power supply are you using?

What's the impedance of the speakers?

The TDA2822M will power two 8ohm speakers at 1W from a 6V supply.

If that's the case then maybe you should consider taking some battery operated speakers apart and integrate the amplifier into the old radio case.

Last edited:
The part that we are trying to learn about is being able to have seperate controls that we can put where we want.
For example: Using the old mounting area/hole for the volume that is already there in the old radio for the new volume knob.
We have a set of computer speakers that we can use however all the controls are attached to a board so we can not seperate them to place where/how we want.

So I guess what I am asking is - what parts would we need and how would they go together.

Thanks for your time.

Can't you remove them from the board and reconnect them using insulated wire?

Mains power isn't to be messed with by begginers, the best way to run it from wall power is using a store bought "wall-wart" transformer. These are already safety approved and will be capable of supplying up to around 12W of power. Using this you could power TDA2822M amp mentioned earlier, or even something a bit more powerful.

Is it possible to get a list of items that we will need and a diagram or schematic that shows us how to make the connections?
We are at the level of - you need X, Y, and Z components. The...Plug X to Y and X and Y to Z..etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to help us newbies.

Search Google for the TDA2822M datasheet, it will have a schematic on it.

We googled and found "TDA2822M datasheet".
Having no background with reading this type of information we are trying to get from it what we need.

Can you provide a list of items that we would need (volume control, amp, speakers, etc.) and a basic diagram of how these items would connect?

or

Is there a site that you know of that would have this info? - we have not been able to find one.

or

Given our beginner level of ability, experience and knowledge, is there a forum that may be more appropriate for our level/experience? Or is this an OK place to ask such elementary questions?

Thanks

From the datasheet http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/T/D/A/2/TDA2822M.shtml
you should look at the attached image for a typical application.

Where you see a box, this is a resistor. 4 resistors are required. 2 are labelled 10kohm, and two 4.7ohm. RL refers to the speaker, which should be an 8ohm load (impedance is written on the back of the speaker driver).

We don't know where you are, you should fill out your location then we can suggest where to buy the parts from.

This site may help you figure out what the other symbols are, they are using the old zig-zag resistor symbol, a box is the modern symbol but both are the same thing.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• amp schem.jpg
    amp schem.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 226
This will help, we'll try and make sense of it.

Since we are in the northeast USA do you have any suggestion about where we should get parts?

Thanks again for your help.

I'm in the UK and you yanks always talk of Radioshack, is there one near where you live?

Yes we have a RadioShack down the street. That was our first stop in trying to get info on this. But...they were the first to admit that while they have some parts they had no idea how to use them. They knew about cell phones and TVs.

That is why we turned to the wonderful world of the internet.

My son is looking over the info that you sent. I am sure we will have more questions after that.

if your ipod is a small battery source, and the components in the stereo are currently 12volts, then it would be fine to desolder the components from the pcb and use some wires to connect them back up?

alternatively, i think you would be able to interface with the ipod port itself?

drage - thanks for the reply.

He just wants to be able to connect his ipod to this system just like one would to a set of computer speakers. Plug it in, listen for a while, un-plug, walk away.

So what we are trying to learn how to do is to make a set of external computer speakers.
We have been going over the info that has been provided so far but have not really made sense of it. We are TRUE beginners. I was hoping to just get a list of parts and some instruction at the level of putting together set Lego set...connect A to B, etc.
I am affraid I may have stumbled into a forum that is to advanced for us.

bmclaughlin said:
I was hoping to just get a list of parts and some instruction at the level of putting together set Lego set...connect A to B, etc.
I am affraid I may have stumbled into a forum that is to advanced for us.
It isn't this forum that's too advanced for you it's what you want to do. When you say you're beginners do you mean you've never picked up a soldering iron in your life? If so then you will have to learn a bit more before you attempt a project like this.

I have done some wiring around the house, have made little "make the bell ring" kits, I have installed a motorcycle lighting kit, etc. I may not solder very cleanly but I have done it. So I am not without any experience however
in all those cases it was a matter of following directions.

I guess I was making an assumption that this project was be fairly simple and there would ready made plans to follow. However I am taking your point that it is not as simple as I thought.

If it is OK, my son is making notes on the diagram that you passed along so that he can ask some questions.

Again thank for sticking with us so far. This is something we (he) would like to learn.

Hello, I have attached a file with a couple of questions about the diagram, could you help me out?

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 444
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back