Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help - Device to ensure distance between point A and B are level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy888

Hello, I am new to this site and I am hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I am trying to determine if there are any devices/sensors// I could use (that are minimally invasive) and perhaps could be used in conjunction with a smart device, to determine if point A is level with point B eg the end of a stick (A) is level with the end of a stick (B). The max distance between the two points would be about 10-15cm. I’m seeking something wireless and which can alert me when point A and B are not level. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Further to my previous post is there any mini sensors that I could potentially stick to the end of a thumb and the end of the pinky finger that could determine if they are level with each other?

- The easiest solution to your first question is to use a camera and a RaspPi this way you have an external "fixed" reference that can view both points and detect that they are level ... another question "level to what" in this case it would be the external fixed reference of the camera.

- to your second question, both points must be rigidly connected to one another except for the plane you are measuring. Otherwise you are making reference to a 3 dimensional object as if it were only a 2 dimensional object. and the question again arises "level to what". A camera might be a better solution here as well.

Hi Timothy

I designed a tilt sensor for the blind. It sounds a buzzer when level in either the horizontal or vertical. I can let you have the software if you want (based on a PIC micro). I sense you are not an electronics expert and alas I cannot offer technical support. Here is the link to the description:
https://www.analog.com/en/technical...a-spirit-level-for-the-visually-impaired.html

Let me know if you need the code - although I am no software engineer

Simon Bramble

I am trying to determine if there are any devices/sensors// I could use (that are minimally invasive) and perhaps could be used in conjunction with a smart device,
I have a (free and ad-free) app on my android phone from play store that once calibrated is sufficiently sensitive to detect a post-it stuck to one end of the back of the phone and report a 0.1° change in the angle; which ought to be sensitive enough for most applications. It's called Bubble Level.

I have a (free and ad-free) app on my android phone from play store that once calibrated is sufficiently sensitive to detect a post-it stuck to one end of the back of the phone and report a 0.1° change in the angle; which ought to be sensitive enough for most applications. It's called Bubble Level.
That's very impressive. Will install later.

Mike.

Hi, Thank you all for your prompt replies, I really appreciate it. I will have to go through each suggestion and go from there.
What I am actually trying to do, if you can imagine, is design a device for the hand where point A is the Thumb and point B is the Pinky Finger.
The idea is to imagine a straight line between the two and the device ,when a person shoots the basketball will tell the shooter if the two points were
level with each other during setup and release of the basketball. I've attached a picture to help illustrate. I was dreaming of being able to have one sensor pad for each finger (as not to obstruct the basketball in any way) and have each sensor pad provide feedback which I could present through an app.

Attachments

• hand.png
    hand.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 242
Hi Timothy

I designed a tilt sensor for the blind. It sounds a buzzer when level in either the horizontal or vertical. I can let you have the software if you want (based on a PIC micro). I sense you are not an electronics expert and alas I cannot offer technical support. Here is the link to the description:
https://www.analog.com/en/technical...a-spirit-level-for-the-visually-impaired.html

Let me know if you need the code - although I am no software engineer

Simon Bramble
Thank you I will take a look. Much appreciated.

Low tech method is to use mercury switches -

1646996617758.png

1646996646505.png

Note using these has limitations, surface tension of mercury effects as well as internal
friction/momentum. But still possible solution.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back