Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello All

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main application for a conventional diode is not it's forward voltage drop but the fact that current is only able to flow in one direction through them (apart from a small leakage current when reverse biased). As Hero said, the forward voltage drop is dependant on current, and to a smaller amount other factors such as temperature. As an example, if you read the datasheet for a general purpose diode like the 1n4001 you'll see a graph which plots forward voltage against current. The device is rated up to 1Amp, and from 0 - 1Amp the forward voltage varies by 0.4V - this is why they're not very good voltage droppers, unless the circuit current is known and remains fairly constant.

Brian

ok im trying this and the LED is getting 1.75v . i am having trouble calculating the I = E / R. I get some wierd number ."0.0002459419" Can someone explain. or would this just be 245mA

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If you remove the 10k resistors and just keep the 330Ω you will then get a voltage of approximately 2V across your LED. The other 3V will be across the resistor and therefore the current will 3/330 = 9mA. To make your LED bright you want around 20mA through it and so the resistor should be 3/0.02 = 150Ω.

Mike.

How can i calculate like you just did? Like how did you calc that when a 330Ω is placed there it would generate 2v on the led? I see how to get info from ohms law but like to create a outcome based on input is not yet understood lol.

I found this:
**broken link removed**

"A typical LED requires a current of 10 mA and has a voltage of 2 V across it when it is working. The power supply for the circuit is 9 V. What is the voltage across resistor R1? The answer is 9-2=7 V. (The voltages across components in series must add up to the power supply voltage.)

You now have two bits of information about R1: the current flowing is 10 mA, and the voltage across R1 is 7 V. To calculate the resistance value, use the formula:
R = V / I

Substitute values for V and I:"

So in mines it would be like

5V in and LED eats 2v so 3 left over
R = 3 / .010 = 300ohms

right ?

Now is it possible to use 3 100ohm in series to make a 300ohm resistor ?

Last edited:
Correct, LEDs will conduct more and more current until the voltage across them is 2V. As more current flows a bigger voltage is dropped across the resistor. When the current is high enough the voltage across the resistor is 3V and the current stops increasing.

Mike.

Last edited:
ok with this same concept i can manually control a 7 segment led right?

Also the forward voltage/current is the input the component actually needs to work right.

I tried this with a 7seg display works 100%. Give me a min to up a pic of it

Last edited:
It's looking good. Just be aware that the segments are sharing the resistor and so the more segments lit the duller they will be. This can be rectified by having a separate resistor for each segment.

Mike.

ok cool. Will note. Its just that its like 2am here and everyhere is closed so i didnt want to blow it lol. Um also i took a Dual 7 SEG LED off something i had around but its funny it only has 9 pins

I got it to light up tho just going to make a pinout now

Last edited:
one question: How are we multiplexing the led's. what we are using to multiplex them?

you would need something like a M4_1E:
**broken link removed**

As a matter of fact look at MAX7219, MAX7221:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Ok im having a issue sort of. I connected to resisters in a series on a 5v supply
R1 = 100 ohms
R2 = 150 ohms

My voltage drop is ok i end up with 3 volts in the middle
but i end up with only 5mA instead of 20mA how come?

Last edited:
You should have 20ma.... Some meters will drop a little voltage in current mode, but it shouldn't be enough to make THAT much of a difference. I assume the meter is in series with both the resistors. Maybe it is defective?

It's a little low. You might want to check your meters accuracy against another one; Just connect both meters in series with a resistor and a voltage source, forming a loop, to see if they read the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back