Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDL Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

Can anyone suggest me a place to start learing HDL.

All internet searches have left me very confused on what the HDL software is.

All I know is that it is a simulation lnaguage for the Hardware.

Thanks,
Bharath.

HDL is Hardware Description Language.
It was originally designed just as a simulation tool. However, it soon became used for synthesis as well. That is, you can write a design in terms of a complicated logic equation for example and there are tools which can turn it into a version made of AND/OR gates, and then all the way down to individual transistors including the silicon dimensions.

Where do I get the synthesis and simulation tools? open source software/demos/Sharewares?

And is there a good tutorial anywhere to start learning? I could not find any good leads from google. Maybe I used the wrong keywords...

Thank you.

https://www.opencores.org/
This is a good place to goto, got quite a few bits from here.

I do have a good simulator, but it is installed in my Linux partition and I am in windows atm, when I next boot into linux ill find the program name.

VHDL doesn't just have to simulate hardware.

At work we have a FPGA:VHDL motor-controller and to "test-bench" it we have a brushlessDC machine written in VHDL as well as the analogue current-loop, bloody good as well

lord loh. said:
Where do I get the synthesis and simulation tools? open source software/demos/Sharewares?

And is there a good tutorial anywhere to start learning? I could not find any good leads from google. Maybe I used the wrong keywords...

Thank you.

https://www.xilinx.com

Look for Webpack.

Webpack offers a free synthesizer (XST), Simulator (Model SIM - limited)
And code entry & organization. Good stuff. Get on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back