Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have you been vaccinated yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how many have died because they didn't get vaccinated due to anti-vaxxer's propaganda.

Wonder how many have died because they didn't get vaccinated due to anti-vaxxer's propaganda.

Darwinism at work - if people are that stupid their genes are better off out of the population! :D

I saw a guy on the news the other day, he lives in Portugal, but three members of his family over here had all died at a similar time - the entire family here had refused vaccination.

Darwinism at work - if people are that stupid their genes are better off out of the population! :D

Sadly, most of the dead probably already procreated and instilled their beliefs into their spawn before they died.

I saw an article about the "Rage of the Responsible" today – Responsible is a little ambiguous in the headline. The people who have done the right things, the responsible things (social distancing, masks, vaccines) have had enough. If not for the anti-science, anti-mask, anti-vaccine idiots, Covid would be winding down instead of ramping up severely, with more restrictions.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

Comparing SARS-CoV-2 natural immunity to vaccine-induced immunity: reinfections versus breakthrough infections​

Background: Reports of waning vaccine-induced immunity against COVID-19 have begun to surface. With that, the comparable long-term protection conferred by previous infection with SARS-CoV-2 remains unclear. Methods: We conducted a retrospective observational study comparing three groups: (1)SARS-CoV-2-naive individuals who received a two-dose regimen of the BioNTech/Pfizer mRNA BNT162b2 vaccine, (2)previously infected individuals who have not been vaccinated, and (3)previously infected and single dose vaccinated individuals. Three multivariate logistic regression models were applied. In all models we evaluated four outcomes: SARS-CoV-2 infection, symptomatic disease, COVID-19-related hospitalization and death. The follow-up period of June 1 to August 14, 2021, when the Delta variant was dominant in Israel. Results: SARS-CoV-2-naive vaccinees had a 13.06-fold (95% CI, 8.08 to 21.11) increased risk for breakthrough infection with the Delta variant compared to those previously infected, when the first event (infection or vaccination) occurred during January and February of 2021. The increased risk was significant (P<0.001) for symptomatic disease as well. When allowing the infection to occur at any time before vaccination (from March 2020 to February 2021), evidence of waning natural immunity was demonstrated, though SARS-CoV-2 naive vaccinees had a 5.96-fold (95% CI, 4.85 to 7.33) increased risk for breakthrough infection and a 7.13-fold (95% CI, 5.51 to 9.21) increased risk for symptomatic disease. SARS-CoV-2-naive vaccinees were also at a greater risk for COVID-19-related-hospitalizations compared to those that were previously infected. Conclusions: This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.
Every adult that hasn't been infected greatly benefits from vaccination but it seems natural immunity will be an important fact in ending the pandemic.

The virus (delta and later variants) seems to be mutating to escape vaccination to infect more transmission hosts while it hurts the unvaxx'd but those mutations weaken it to the effects of natural immunity from the previously infected. This trade-off means vaccine immunity is now a little worse, and natural immunity is now better.

Yes, I had my Oxford Astra Zeneca jabs in mid-March and late May. No side effects beyond the mildest upper arm soreness imaginable.

Anyone (without good medical advice due to their specific medical condition) who doesn't accept the vaccine when offered needs their head examined and is helping extend the pandemic by not doing their bit to make the population less vulnerable. These people are in effect spreading mistrust and misinformation due to their ignorance, gullibility or stupidity - probably all three!

These people are in effect spreading mistrust and misinformation due to their ignorance, gullibility or stupidity - probably all three!

since your not from the USA, you probably don't know who most if not all of those that aren't getting the vaccine voted for. A hint, he's no longer president, but is still claiming it was stolen from him. Not at all a political comment just a verifiable fact.

Oh - the Bad Loser Guy! ;)

No, I was aware. It should be no surprise that people who fall for downright lies and loudmouthery in politics use the same poor judgement to let lies and misinformation pass without letting it trouble their intellectual faculties in other areas of life.

Seems the J in Donald J Trump stands for Genius.

Mike.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Edit, Oh and I think ALL of the rest of the world know who the US antivaxers voted for.

While you folks are doing just fine staying within the rules of the site, let's still try to steer this back away from politics. There should not be a political component to the virus/vaccine topic, but for whatever ridiculous reasons, there is and we should try not to perpetuate it.

Like I said, you're doing ok so far, just want to steer the conversation away from that before it begins to devolve :)

Best,
Matt

Anyone (without good medical advice due to their specific medical condition) who doesn't accept the vaccine when offered needs their head examined and is helping extend the pandemic by not doing their bit to make the population less vulnerable. These people are in effect spreading mistrust and misinformation due to their ignorance, gullibility or stupidity - probably all three!
I can assure you that many people that don't think like you are not ignorant, gullible, nor stupid.

If you want the vaccine, go for it; you can still become infected, cultivate a massive viral load (of potentially vaccine-resistant strains), infect others, and to a lesser-extent, become ill.

Younger people without comorbidities have minimal reason to be C19 vaccinated. I have no need to get these particular vaccines.

I can assure you that many people that don't think like you are not ignorant, gullible, nor stupid.

If you want the vaccine, go for it; you can still become infected, cultivate a massive viral load (of potentially vaccine-resistant strains), infect others, and to a lesser-extent, become ill.

Younger people without comorbidities have minimal reason to be C19 vaccinated. I have no need to get these particular vaccines.
I disagree with the latter part of your post. The point of getting a vaccine is to minimize symptoms if you do become infected, as it teaches your body to handle it more easily. The symptoms (coughing especially) is one of the biggest modes of transmission, so if coughing is reduced then the chances of spreading it to those around you is also drastically reduced.

The vaccine is not necessarily designed to protect you as much as it is designed to protect those around you. I, for one, am not afraid of getting COVID - I am healthy enough it wouldn't cause any major complications for me. However, I got the vaccine, I wear a mask, I wash my hands frequently, I minimize close-quarters contact because I want to protect everyone around me. It's common courtesy.

I will not shame you for not wanting to get the vaccine, but it is important that everyone has all of the pertinent information and has a clear understanding of what the vaccine is and how it is intended to work before making their decision.

I disagree with the latter part of your post. The point of getting a vaccine is to minimize symptoms if you do become infected, as it teaches your body to handle it more easily. The symptoms (coughing especially) is one of the biggest modes of transmission, so if coughing is reduced then the chances of spreading it to those around you is also drastically reduced.

The vaccine is not necessarily designed to protect you as much as it is designed to protect those around you. I, for one, am not afraid of getting COVID - I am healthy enough it wouldn't cause any major complications for me. However, I got the vaccine, I wear a mask, I wash my hands frequently, I minimize close-quarters contact because I want to protect everyone around me. It's common courtesy.
While that is a commendable attitude, I'm not sure everything is so straight-forward.

Have a look at how effective the vaccine has been in Israel: https://ourworldindata.org/vaccination-israel-impact
Jerusalem’s Herzog Medical Center, hospital head Dr. Kobi Haviv stated: “95% of the severe patients are vaccinated,” and “85-90% of the hospitalizations are in fully vaccinated people”.

While the vaccine was working well initially, it wears out very quickly, as you'll see in the graphs. I don't know the age or other makeup of the critical patients, but presumably this is important.

How many more of these stories need to make the headlines?

Last edited:
While that is a commendable attitude, I'm not sure everything is so straight-forward.

Have a look at how effective the vaccine has been in Israel: https://ourworldindata.org/vaccination-israel-impact
Jerusalem’s Herzog Medical Center, hospital head Dr. Kobi Haviv stated: “95% of the severe patients are vaccinated,” and “85-90% of the hospitalizations are in fully vaccinated people”.

While the vaccine was working well initially, it wears out very quickly, as you'll see in the graphs. I don't know the age or other makeup of the critical patients, but presumably this is important.
Absolutely, things most certainly are not straightforward. Different vaccines have different levels of efficacy, some do a much better job at teaching the body to fight the virus. Additionally, underlying medical issues may render vaccines less effective for a small minority of people. There are a lot of variables at play so it will always be a calculated risk.

As usual those percentages need a little background in math to explain why the vaccine is very effective in the prevention of sickness and death even with some breakthrough cases.

I was perhaps a little harsh in my choice of words, but not much.

Those who accept the choices made by the 'reluctant' (but excluding those advised on individual medical grounds) may be offering 'understanding' from the viewpoint that personal choice is paramount while helping reduce the pandemic effects on the population is of less importance. (I can see a right/left correlation.)

Also: "Have a look at how effective the vaccine has been in Israel: https://ourworldindata.org/vaccination-israel-impact
Jerusalem’s Herzog Medical Center, hospital head Dr. Kobi Haviv stated: “95% of the severe patients are vaccinated,” and “85-90% of the hospitalizations are in fully vaccinated people”."

I think picking figures from one country (figures which support your case) may not inform us generally very much. I remember recently seeing an argument that high infection rates among the vaccinated may make the vaccination appear ineffective, but if the figures are taken from a population where most people are vaccinated, the appearance can be misleading.

Last edited:
You can't be too harsh in words for the voluntarily/non-medical unvaccinated. Whole families in rural counties are getting sick here and people are dying when most could be saved by a simple shot in the arm before they got sick.

The Asante system encompasses three hospitals in the Rogue Valley — in the cities of Ashland, Medford and Grants Pass. All three ICU's are 100% full of COVID-19 patients, according to staff.

"We've had two deaths today. So, it's a very grim, difficult time," said ICU Medical Director Dr. Michael Blumhardt on a recent Tuesday in August.

In contrast to earlier phases of the pandemic, the Asante hospitals are now treating COVID-19 patients in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, according to Blumhardt.

"We're seeing clusters of families being admitted. We had a father and an adult daughter admitted to the intensive care unit and he passed away. Right before, I had to put the daughter on life support," he says.

Overall, vaccination rates in many states look pretty good. But zoom in, and you'll see a checkerboard effect with huge differences from county to county. Oregon is no different. In and around metropolitan Portland, two-thirds of all residents are fully vaccinated. But rural counties aren't even close to that; many have vaccination rates that are less than 50% or even 40%. Jackson County, in southern Oregon, is home to the largest number of unvaccinated individuals in the state. That's pushing the local hospitals to the limit.

Residents of Jackson County are starting to respond to the crisis. The rate of new vaccinations here has grown, and is now to about twice that of the Portland area. But thousands of people still need to be vaccinated to catch up.
1630341006615.png

The fear of death has woken up some from the no-vax fear and misinformation but for many, it's too late.

may be offering 'understanding' from the viewpoint that personal choice is paramount
I don't understand this argument.

I mean, outside of China where (reportedly) volunteering to have their vaccine is widely seen as compulsory; nobody is forcing anyone to have it; just advising them too.

We also advise people not to put their hands into fires. We don't see too many people viewing that as an infringement of their personal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back