Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hard Disk Status LEDs from the Adaptec 2610SA SATA RAID Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockcrew

Hi

It is possible to wire up the Hard Disk Status LEDs from the Adaptec 2610SA SATA RAID Controller.
This controller has 6 ports and can connect up to 6 Hard Disks.

Here is a simple guide:
https://www.hotsource.net/projects/main.php?cmd=album&var1=NAS/&var2=1

Background:
I want to build a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device to store my stuff in a central place. After looking around, I found a free NAS software call FreeNAS. It is freeBSD based.

I bought a cheap 1U Rack mount server for use with the NAS. I also bought the Adaptec 2610SA from ebay and connect my hard disks as RAID1. I want to see the hard disk activities but the built in motherboard only shows hard disk activities attached to the IDE. So, I begin my search to extract the signal out from the Adaptec 2610SA itself. Then I build a simple LED panel to fit the 1U server....

So, here it is:
**broken link removed**

i couldn't find the 2610 on adaptecs site, but the manual for the 2410 shows it having an activity led output. so you just connect your chassis led to the controller, instead of the motherboard. many times, a 'server' motherboard will have a "scsi led" input as well, for connecting an external controller to, so it can also update the chassis led.

i've got a adaptec 2400A here, and it has a little led bargraph on it that shows different things and does simple animations when the controller is idle. i've often thought of desoldering it and soldering a header in place, and moving the bargraph somewhere it can actually be seen.

The seven segment LEDs are hardwired digits, the LEDs indicators just connect to the led outputs on the adaptec card.

I use Clark Connect for my Linux server.

another good NAS solution to look at is Open Filer

I agree with Bill, those digits are probably hard wired, or set with a selector, probably an octal or decimal rotary switch

of course if you want the computer to do more than just host files, Centos is a great operating system. It is 100% compatible with Redhat Enterprise Linux.

The 2610SA was bought from ebay... as I understand, these were plugged out from Dell machines and I got it at about 100 bucks.

yes, the 7 segment display were hard wired for simplicity. there are no details on the HDD status pinout connector on the 2610SA so I had to figure it out.

Hear of OpenFiler too but I boot off a Compact Flash card and only 32 MB is needed. I've got a 1 GB CF but I am not sure OpenFiler could fit.

what is Clark Connect?

I've been looking for this for a long time. The link in your post doesn't work. Can you update? Thanks.

Thanks Rockcrew, got it working. By the way, do you know how to connect a battery to the 2610SA? It's supposed to prevent data corruption in event of power disruption when using write cache.

I also bought one of these on ebay and only paid $50AU for it which was pretty good.
Does anyone know if you can use this to just use the hdds and use software raid instead of the controller raid.
I bought this card without doing the research first thinking it could make 1 large raid 5 array using 6x 1TB drives but only just discovered that it will only handle arrays up to 2TB so atm i have 2x 2TB Raid 5 arrays.
If i can use software raid i can make 1x 5TB Raid 5 array.
Does anyone know how i can do this in the bios settings of the card?
I couldn't get the OS to recognise the HDDs in /dev/ in either CentOS 5.4 or Xubuntu 9.10.
Once i built the 2x arrays they appeared in /dev/ as /sdb and /sdc.

Also did anyone get anywhere with the battery connection for the cache write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back