Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Happy X'mas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audioguru,

Funny, it originally read "Audioguru, myself and others" in place of "some" in my last post. I changed it to not offend, but I had a feeling it would not have. :D

Far as the age, they still know at least what we knew at 13, probably a lot more. They get spam mail now that will curl your hair.

I have spamfighter on all my sons computers to kill that crap now. Works 100%.

Audioguru,

Funny, it originally read "Audioguru, myself and others" in place of "some" in my last post. I changed it to not offend, but I had a feeling it would not have. :D

Far as the age, they still know at least what we knew at 13, probably a lot more. They get spam mail now that will curl your hair.

I have spamfighter on all my sons computers to kill that crap now. Works 100%.
I don't have kids (except adult), so I don't have to deal with this, thank God!
How do you keep them off [WORD CENSORED] sites,or at least finding dirty pictures on Google Image search?

EDIT: [WORD CENSORED] was nrop, spelled backwards. Wonder why this was censored?

Last edited:
These images may get the site blocked by schools and libraries. 3v0
Then, we don't have to come up with ideas for their semester finals project. Woot, woot!

I don't have kids (except adult), so I don't have to deal with this, thank God!
How do you keep them off [WORD CENSORED] sites,or at least finding dirty pictures on Google Image search?

EDIT: [WORD CENSORED] was nrop, spelled backwards. Wonder why this was censored?

All the computers are in one room. And I keep an eye on them. They are pretty good kids, my wife and I worked hard (more so the wife), sure hope some idiot does not come along and ruin the hard work. They will no doubt make the world a little better place.

Mine oldest is 19. Hardly see him, and it is a little struggle as he was always by my side, now has a car and girlfriend. So I have number two or three on his list. :) So soon I will be like you.

On the email, for a bit they were mailing graphic picture spam to me. When that happened I killed all email. I thought I was bad as a kid, but the mess you have to protect them from today is incredible. When I found spamfighter (for work) I loaded it at home and they are back on email.

I hadn't realised any links to rude sites had been posted. I thought the objection was to the rather nice picture of the ladies. My statement above re frivolity was with reference to the nice pic and not to links to rude sites which I agree are unacceptable on this site.

Mike.

I hadn't realised any links to rude sites had been posted. I thought the objection was to the rather nice picture of the ladies. My statement above re frivolity was with reference to the nice pic and not to links to rude sites which I agree are unacceptable on this site.

Mike.
I think the link I posted is the one everyone is referring to. I originally only looked at it long enough to determine that the guy was (a gay) male. I just looked again, and it is definitely objectionable.
I'm going to delete it.

EDIT: I guess it's too late. Perhaps a moderator could delete it for me. it is definitely worse than the word p*o*r*n, which was censored when i posted it.

Last edited:
I guess it's too late. Perhaps a moderator could delete it for me. it is definitely worse than the word p*o*r*n, which was censored when i posted it.

Something funny. I clicked the link from my electrotech email to read the updated post and it said [word censored] in your post. When I went back to delete the electrotech message from my email, it had the word in the message. So it's only censored here. :p

Anyway. I hope all you guys had a good holiday. I did, I can fell the fat storing in my body.

Well, I'll go way out on a limb here and post a few more dirty picture links... hope no one gets offended. :p

dirty pic #1
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Great pics HiTech. I particularly like the picture of the fourby as I may emulate that on new years day. We're going camping for new year to a place only accessible with a fourby.

Just realised that fourby may not be universal. Here in Aus it is the normal term for any four wheel drive vehicle. Correction, Volvos and Subarus excluded.

Mike.

Well, I'll go way out on a limb here and post a few more dirty picture links... hope no one gets offended. :p

dirty pic #1
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I am offended.

You didn't show Americas Most Wanted (AIG) Gang.

Maybe a few Congressman.

kv

I am offended.

You didn't show Americas Most Wanted (AIG) Gang.

Maybe a few Congressman.

kv

Those would be crooks.

I like the 4x4 as well. Reminds me of my youngest son. He lives to drive in dirt and mud. And break things so I can fix them.

Those would be crooks.

I like the 4x4 as well. Reminds me of my youngest son. He lives to drive in dirt and mud. And break things so I can fix them.

Wait you forgot. Dirty Crooks.

kv:D

Edit: I'm wrong. I think maybe that was shown in Hitech's first 1 Pic.

Last edited:
Is he old enough to learn how to weld ?

Yes, he is 13 going on 20. But he makes a bit of a mess right now, he just started a few months ago. So I normally do the welding, actually enjoy it, it's like a soldering iron on steroids. If I do it, I don't have to get out a grinder and clean all it up and pray it holds. But soon he will be doing it on something other than scrap.

At his age, he is the one to call for something to be taken apart, broken or cut up. :D He has his own plasma cutter. :eek:

He's also quite famous at disappearing on me about the time to put things back together. Gonna keep him anyway. :p

Yes, he is 13 going on 20. But he makes a bit of a mess right now, he just started a few months ago. So I normally do the welding, actually enjoy it, it's like a soldering iron on steroids. If I do it, I don't have to get out a grinder and clean all it up and pray it holds. But soon he will be doing it on something other than scrap.

At his age, he is the one to call for something to be taken apart, broken or cut up. :D He has his own plasma cutter. :eek:

He's also quite famous at disappearing on me about the time to put things back together. Gonna keep him anyway. :p

Not for too long. He will be gone if you blink.

I tutored a 11 year old girl for over a year. I was amazed at what she could and did learn. Which was anything I could make interesting. Then she turned 13 and lost all interest for some reason. :)

Last edited:
Not for too long. He will be gone if you blink.

I tutored a 11 year old girl for over a year. I was amazed at what she could and did learn. Which was anything I could make interesting. Then she turned 13 and lost all interest for some reason. :)

I know what you mean, the blink is happening with my 19 year old now (leaving the nest). I have taught my kids, many neighboring kids and so many employees over the years (not a teacher by trade but I think that was my real calling I missed). They all seem to grow up and move on at some point.

Were you teaching her electronics? My kids never followed in electronics but they have a major understanding in computers because of it.

I know what you mean, the blink is happening with my 19 year old now (leaving the nest). I have taught my kids, many neighboring kids and so many employees over the years (not a teacher by trade but I think that was my real calling I missed). They all seem to grow up and move on at some point.

Were you teaching her electronics? My kids never followed in electronics but they have a major understanding in computers because of it.
I am teaching kids to build robots. At least that is what I tell them.

I am very proud of this young lady.

She learned enough electonics to understand Ohms law, calculate current flow for LEDs, pull up's, transistor bases, that sort of thing. Resistors in combo.

We studied number systems and did computer related math such as 1's and 2'compliments.

She learned to program a Junebug. I ported some code that played ring tones and she got it to play the theme song from Gilligan's Island. This was a good intro to the MPLAD IDE and the edit-program-debug cycle.

She learned charlieplexing LEDs and making tones/noise with the speaker. She learned about H-Bridges and wrote programs to make a Wilber robot move. One of the last things we did was to place tape on the kitchen floor and program a set of moves to make the robot follow the tape. Without any sensors it was difficult but fun. The next thing was a sharp distance sensor but we did not get to it.

She was not a fluent programmer. But she knew what she needed to know, and could have been had she stuck with it. She also solders very well. She built both the controller and H-Bridge board for her Wilber. I pointed out one or two mistakes which she fixed. None of the guys I work with can solder like that.

She has moved on to boys, but is very possessive of her Junebug and Wilber.

3v0

3v0,

Wow, from 11-13 that is impressive.

I know the Junebug (one of Bill's creative creations). I would keep doing what you are doing, sound like creating smart young people. We need all of them we can get.

When you mention boys, my 19 year old is snow skiing with his girlfriend and family two states away. Funny how that works. But she (your student), like he (my son), still have a good mind, just the growing up part jumped in there. They'll be back. :)

I will try not to blink on my last two boys anytime soon. :D

Did you program the Wilber robot with an array of data to follow the tape on the floor? Sounds like a lot of work with no sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back