Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gun Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Have you ever had an issue that suddenly popped into your head that you were curious about what and why other people hold the opinions they do? Well the one I have right now is gun ownership. What on earth would possess someone to be utterly against or utterly supportive of the right to bear arms?

Just be clear here, I'm not talking about gun control here, I am talking about the "inalienable RIGHT" to own a gun.

Last edited:
For me, it's more of a "guy" survival thing etched into genetics most likely..

Like having that camping set you use twice a year, or that survival backpack of first aid and other necessities for emergencies. A rifle (and periodic training) seem to appeal to me for that "just in case" factor.

And why not? If secured properly, with adequate training, its as dangerous as most other appliances around the house (if not safer).

I used to work for a Company who built Shooting Ranges.( I would say more but won't because of the sensitive locations of such facilities Web Crawlwers will find them and draw a lot of cookoo's here. ) I think that a person should be able to bear arms if they have the qualifications.

Just to sell a gun or buy one does not make you responsible. A lot of Utah Mormons Disclaimer: (If anyone on the site is a Mormon I'm not talking about you personally I am talking about a few individuals who) believe that the (End of the World is Near)

These people are preparing for the worse. I Personally know of (Older Gentlemen) who have spent life savings on such a die cast event and their are weapons huge stockpiles of rifles,guns, and bullets. They also have the ability to obtain black market ammo and equipment exceeding 20mm shells.

They have tooling equipment specs and blue print for making arms. Their are also rocket propelled manufactures in this state (From front end to back end able to manufacture) ground to air missiles as well as air to air. It is widely held belief by many that this is and will become a battle ground within this (State) to destroy infrastructures built around High Tech weapons.

These are collected and stored. Now that Obama has taken office and Liberals are running the Country they feel they need to buy all they can and are (Fear Motivating) others to do it.

This has caused a shortage of Ammo in Utah you are placed on a waiting list as there is not enough coming into the State to satisfy the hoarding.

kv

Last edited:
I don't own any guns myself, but strongly believe that those who want them should be able to own. Also believe that those who carry them in public, should be required to keep them in plain site, not hidden or concealed, like they are planning something sneaky. If they are going to carry a gun in public, it should be in easy reach, and give the rest of a little heads up, that we may need to seek cover. Don't think there would be much robbing going on, if the thief sees half a dozen guns waiting to be pointed at him. Beside gun laws only effect those who are willing to obey the laws. Would thieves and murders stop using them, just because they are banned? UK banned hand guns? People still getting murdered?

Here in Nevada, most people exercise their 2nd ammendment right to own and bear arms. It's legal here to carry unconcealed and many of us have concealed permits. It does keep the crime lower when the bad guys know that a lot of us have guns.

The second amendment is old, but it's to protect the right of the public to bear arms to allow for the formation of a militia if the government becomes obstinate. That was it's intention. You can make as many laws as you want to keep them out of criminals hands (which doesn't work) but the instant you try to take away the right of the public at large to bear arms it's unconstitutional, period. There is no room for argument, at least not acording to US law.

ACtually...that kind of says nothing. Unless you are implying the law says I can so I do.

Well since you live in Canada it's kind of a moot point isn't it? What are the gun laws like there? Some US states here have very draconian gun laws and some are nearly non-existent. I grew up in Wyoming and in high school had a pistol in my car (clip loaded but out of the gun), many of the trucks in the parking lot had deer rifles hanging from a rack in the rear window. I was taught how to use guns, how to respect them and how to kill moving animals with them.

I think the Brady bill was a joke but I don't think people should be able to buy armor piercing rounds either. There needs to be a BALANCE... maybe a little thing I call COMMON SENSE.

Well since you live in Canada it's kind of a moot point isn't it?

I'm saying that if I ask why you think the way you do about gun rights and you throw up your hands and say 2nd Amendment, that tells me nothing.

What are the gun laws like there?
I think it's you have to be above a certain age (definately 18 or higher to buy one, but only 16 or higher to use one if I remember right), no criminal record, and you need to go through some training and pass a course or test. ANd as far as I know, no automatic weapons, handguns, or shotguns that can fire more than 4 rounds before reloading (really, anything that might be considered a combat weapon with no use for hunting). You also can't carry them around in public, but no hand guns and you aren't exactly going to carry a rifle around in public.

Last edited:
It is quite simply an important protection against tyranny by the state. I don't own any guns, but I'm glad that I have a choice and can do so if I change my mind. If society manges to collapse, then owning a gun will be an important survival tool.

The second amendment is old, but it's to protect the right of the public to bear arms to allow for the formation of a militia if the government becomes obstinate. That was it's intention. You can make as many laws as you want to keep them out of criminals hands (which doesn't work) but the instant you try to take away the right of the public at large to bear arms it's unconstitutional, period. There is no room for argument, at least not acording to US law.

Which lends to the argument that when and if those willing to stand against any newly created law or laws by the current Government to dis-establish constitutional law will only usurp our founding fathers pre-ordained articles meant to protect the Establishment of country and freedom.

Those who stand against Dis-establishment are standing against those newly founded laws those people will be branded criminals and will be met with force if violence irrupts that will be when those outside this country in lawless country's will move to begin to attempt use their influence in the U.N. to bring peace back to America instead it will come in to trample down any resistance against those newly founded Governmental laws.

kv

Last edited:
I live in the UK. I am interested in pistol design and marksmanship. I used to own and use six pistols. That was outlawed and I had to hand them in. [We were financialy compensated] The handgun crime rate doubled.

dknguyen: It depends with whom you want to know "why" they have the support of this idea.

"What on earth would possess someone to be utterly against or utterly supportive of the right to bear arms?"

In my case...I am utterly supportive of the right to bear arms.
Are you familiar with American History? Are you familiar with the United States Constitution?

Depends on who you ask...

gabeNC said:
... maybe a little thing I call COMMON SENSE.

Unfortunately, sense seems to be anything but common ...

Jeff

I live in the UK. I am interested in pistol design and marksmanship. I used to own and use six pistols. That was outlawed and I had to hand them in. [We were financially compensated] The handgun crime rate doubled.

I bet they created a huge market for illegal handguns, criminals want them, citizens want the to protect them from the criminals who buy them... Guessing somebody could really cash in on that situation over there.

I'm all for registration and permits, and believe there should be some sort of gun safety certification involved as well. Ammunition should be serialized and documented at the time of purchase. If the gun or bullets are used in a crime, a simple computer search could give the owner's name. Even if stolen, the police would know the where and when, maybe some addition evidence from the theft.

Banning the weapons isn't really control, since they will always be available. It only removes the ability to track ownership, and people would be less responsible. With the ban, nobody could practice using them, or learn safe handling practices.

You are statistically more likely to be shot by the gun stored in your own house than one brought onto the premises by someone else.
Private gun ownership has no place in a civilized society.
Private gun ownership is absolutely essential in a uncivilized society.
It depends on where you live I guess. ;)

You are statistically more likely to be shot by the gun stored in your own house than one brought onto the premises by someone else.
Private gun ownership has no place in a civilized society.
Private gun ownership is absolutely essential in a uncivilized society.
It depends on where you live I guess. ;)

Depends on how you define civilized...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back