Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gun Ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine has this one.
It mows the grass and plows fields too! :eek:

100% Us legal to own too!
(big pile of paperwork to fill out and very tight back ground checks though!);)

I think his is around $10K and the belt fed ammunition is about the size of a big permanent marker! :eek:

Sorry but I am not a gun person so every specs related number he tells me just goes right over my head. :(

I've got man-card envy. I bet every time he pulls the trigger it costs him about $20 (5 round bursts). :D

Had a friend who owned a Tommy-gun and he told me to shoot a full magazine was $60. I think it was a .45 caliber.

I've got man-card envy. I bet every time he pulls the trigger it costs him about $20 (5 round bursts). :D

Had a friend who owned a Tommy-gun and he told me to shoot a full magazine was $60. I think it was a .45 caliber.

That's one of those guns you charge extra for people to experience have a minimum amount charge like full clip half clip. Then you buy your own burst at their expense.

kv

When you got a million dollar plus gun collection and a business that can support that level of hobby collecting a few $100 for a cheap thrill isn't a big deal! ;)

When you got a million dollar plus gun collection and a business that can support that level of hobby collecting a few $100 for a cheap thrill isn't a big deal! ;)

True I know the type and also worked for them fixing their local firing ranges. Most of the other crew members had to clean out the bullet traps needed to have the lead removed from their systems. Process called chelation. I was lucky I worked on the Electronics Target Systems and such it still bothered me with all the smoke even when the evacuation air handling units on the air was thick.

The company I worked for had a designed bullet catcher that uses a vanishing point system, the bullet passes 2 angular 1/2" steel plates then a 2" slit at the rear and a tumbler system. The bullet dropped into an evacuation unit sucked away to 55 gal Drum. Above and below the plates were concrete slabs holding the system together. This system is used by by Military and Government Agency's all the way down to who ever wants one in their house tell your friend I'll PM you with the info if he wants one. These things were capable of handling 50 cal sniper at 50 yards without blowing a hole through it.

It's funny the local police department was called one time about the noise by nearby residents. Usually when we were testing ammo in a Bullet Catcher we installed at the plant ? The Local Police Department actually have one of our systems and came to tell us City Officials said that it was now against the Law to Shoot within City Limits ? Go figure ? And they use the same system and are inside the City Limits ?

My friend 25 yr Veteran for our Police Department was the one who came to tell us (we) just laughed at each other as he was leaving he said keep it down wink wink nod nod.:p

Their was never any fear of an angry employee with a weapon. In every corner of every room in and outside on personnel were more guns per square inch on the premisses that any individual were to begin shooting they would be taken out in short order. Even with body armor. It would only take one 50 cal round from a sniper rifle at that distance.

The Barrett M107 is a .50 caliber, shoulder fired, semi-automatic sniper rifle .... easily penetrates Type IV body armor and most common building materials.

kv ;)

Bit cruder over here - I went to an open evening at a local gun club, it was in a cellar under a factory - behind the targets was a large bank of sand, which I think they sifted it every now and again :D

Unfortunately they lost the premises, and as far as I know are still looking for new ones.

Bit cruder over here - I went to an open evening at a local gun club, it was in a cellar under a factory - behind the targets was a large bank of sand, which I think they sifted it every now and again :D

Unfortunately they lost the premises, and as far as I know are still looking for new ones.

Going down memory lane.:rolleyes:

When we set up the firing lane for the 50 cal sniper. We had put bags of chopped up rubber filled square bags completely stuffed 10 ft cubes as I recall 4 were staged behind the firing lane, 4 deep our chamber was to be tested without the concrete bunker housing. If a bullet were to have reemerged penetrating the chamber the bags were supposed to catch the round.

Looking back now thinking how friction and one round striking another trapped inside a bag filled with rubber could have created ignition point and may have proved to be interesting. The bags could likely result in an inferno of burning rubber.:p

That would have been the last straw for the local residents nearby.

Just to give you an idea of how large some facilities used in government.

One such training facility has 25 lanes side by side on location might have as many as 4 facilities total. One lane is maybe 8-10 feet wide and about 100 yrds in length a computer control room behind in the middle of all shooters the rooms are dawning bullet proof glass top to bottom these rooms are to run specialized programs for the trainees. Edge is term for target "side" "face" is firing on combatant "back" is non combatant. Training starts target 1 click and returns to sender or shooter returning at 1/4 to 1/3 click then will turn back, edge, face combinations.

Normal training will end with a facing combatant and then the shooter is to release a full discharge of the weapon in the kill zone. Typical 2 to the head and what ever is left to upper torso.

Then shooters with semi auto are to release an empty clip, reload and chamber stand arms locked on combatant until the edged target will return to sender to the firing line for a full review of the target results with a trainer.

kv:D

Edit: My use of 1 click is equal to 100 yrds. It's actually about 1 mile in military terms.

Last edited:
Our local range (about 10 miles out of town) uses the 20' tall dirt berm method for bullet containment. I think you can shoot anything you want, but they might restrict .50 cal.

easily penetrates Type IV body armor

Lol... it penetrates light armored vehicles too! :) It was originally an anti-aircraft round that the civvies co-opted as a long range target round if I recall correctly. It's a mean sumbitch for sure.

Last edited:
Lol... it penetrates light armored vehicles too! :) It was originally an anti-aircraft round that the civvies co-opted as a long range target round if I recall correctly. It's a mean sumbitch for sure.

It is the most effective weapon on an open battlefield it's vary ability was recognize by the German Reich as the weapon that one the are war Quote: If we would have had Browning 50 caliber mounted on our planes it would have change the outcome of the war.

Still today is considered by many as a battlefield conditioner. Soft weapons with a hard punch.

kv

I don't think it was the dirt birm that bullet bounced off, there was a distinctive metal tink, perhaps he was aiming at a small metal target? Hell of a video.

Do you suppose thats gods way of saying, You really dont need a gun that big for target shooting? :D

The gun nuts are always tuff until something starts shooting back! :p

I don't think it was the dirt birm that bullet bounced off, there was a distinctive metal tink, perhaps he was aiming at a small metal target? Hell of a video.

Your right play the video again he say's no more metal.:p

A friend of mine dug a 45 cal pistol round out of his shoulder with his knif the location was around a rock quarry used for gravel roads.

Anything that can bounce a round back at you is dangerous. If you new him you would know he lives life on the wild side funny he seems much smarter than that .......... no he was the same one to fill 55 gal drum with fertilizer to explode an old car in the late 70's. Even though it was between 2 mountains shrapnel went everywhere. :eek:

kv:p

The whistle it made when it was coming back was great too, thank god it tumbled or he wouldn't have walked away from that.
Since I'm feeling kind of nostalgic and shooting things/blowing them up is the current topic I'd like to link this clip again. It's been on the net for a long time now.. Remember that at least one of the people that thought this up likely had an engineering degree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwxH3PPWiU

Last edited:
In the Air Force I didn't enjoy the shooting range that much. Being lefty handed they always placed me on the right at the end of all the right handed shooters and their shell casing would always come bouncing off my left cheek which kind of interfered with my concentration.

Those freshly fired M-16 (AR-15) brass shell casings were still kind of hot bouncing off me! I did mange to qualify, put can't help but think I would have had a higher score if I they didn't give me that handicap. ;)

Lefty

In the Air Force I didn't enjoy the shooting range that much. Being lefty handed they always placed me on the right at the end of all the right handed shooters and their shell casing would always come bouncing off my left cheek which kind of interfered with my concentration.

Those freshly fired M-16 (AR-15) brass shell casings were still kind of hot bouncing off me! I did mange to qualify, put can't help but think I would have had a higher score if I they didn't give me that handicap. ;)

Lefty

But I am sure you were always first pick for the squadron baseball team :)

But I am sure you were always first pick for the squadron baseball team :)

Well maybe not first pick but at least in the first round. I did play a lot of fast pitch softball in the AF and found it a much more challenging game then hardball. With that pitcher only 45ft away instead of 60.5ft that ball was on you quicker then white on rice. ;)

Lefty

Last edited:

Lefty

That happened to me too... sometimes there would be deflectors you could put on the receiver to discharge the shell casing up and over the gun. Most of the time it was my own casings that landed on my forearm or down the back of my shirt when shooting prone.

I think all people have the right to bear firearms without the need for any licensing. When the second amendment was ruled out, places like Texas used to have the lowest crime rate because everyone had a gun so the thugs were afraid to use theirs. One example; Columbine High School massacre took away 12 lives and injured 21. Why? Because no one but the two thugs had a gun on them. If everyone else in school had a gun that day, the two thugs wouldn't even have a chance at taking 12 lives away.

Taking our gun rights away is only going to make life easier for all the thugs that walk around with guns that they obtained on the black market.

Frankly I don't believe the bull when the government says that it's trying to "protect" its citizen’s by restricting gun sales. The last thing the government cares is about your wellbeing...

I like an old quote that I think is appropriate on the subject;

"A successful government is not when the people are afraid of it, but when the government is afraid of its people"

Yeah, just what we need to do Frosty, give ever hormonally driven teen in the world a gun =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back