Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Great News Guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:
Hee, hee. This applies to all of us who are addicted to electronics chat forums.

Not me. I have a life and I go out and do things. Sometimes.
Today the weather was nice, the little amount of snow melted and I went shopping and shopping and shopping with my wife. Then we went for a long walk with our dog until we nearly froze to death. Darn winter has just begun.
I'm with ya on that! Been away from this place for awhile due to deer hunting season, working on my truck, Xmas decorations around the home, Boy Scouting, etc. That's the nice things about electronics, versus women, children, and employers... Electronics will sit idling in standby mode. The others demand constant attention!

I know your pain, Hero999... :)

Yes, visa is all that bad.

Now microsoft is banning "upgrading" from vista to xp (lol)? That is sad. It is bad when a company has to cry and bawl about how their new toy SUCkS (and then force it upon the rest of the world)

You don't get that sort of crap with linux.

The only machine i run windoz on now is my laptop (which i am dual booting with linux). Windoz is the only way i can get some of the devices on my Gateway 4026gz (like the SD card reader)

Now microsoft is banning "upgrading" from vista to xp (lol)?
They have always done that; made it "difficult" to downgrade your winwoes version. All you need is a HD tool to remove all traces of the winvirri and you can install any of the older versions of winwoes that you want. A Knoppix CD is good for this. :D

kchriste said:
They have always done that; made it "difficult" to downgrade your winwoes version. All you need is a HD tool to remove all traces of the winvirri and you can install any of the older versions of winwoes that you want. A Knoppix CD is good for this.

Aaah. Knoppix. Knoppix is my favorite distro, but it cannot be installed (very easily)

I already knew that they already tried to make it difficult, but now m$ is trying something different that is supposed to make it even MORE difficult. Either way, Knoppix and QTPARTED (or gparted) will get rid of that little issue... :)

Adobe recently asked me if I want their new PDF software version for free. I accepted it.
Now when I plug in my SD memory chip from my digital camera into my pc it is Acrobat that saves the pics from it. I think it was my HP printer software that did it before. Many programs do it.

I always check very carefully all the options when installing "free" software. It pays to do the advanced install and turn off things like browser add ons, things that wanna run in the tray or at boot because they are the most important little arrogant pieces of code ever designed and anything else that wants to do your thinking for you.... :rolleyes:

kchriste said:
I always check very carefully all the options when installing "free" software. It pays to do the advanced install and turn off things like browser add ons, things that wanna run in the tray or at boot because they are the most important little arrogant pieces of code ever designed and anything else that wants to do your thinking for you.... :rolleyes:
I was going to install some free CAD software once. I was flipping through the agreement (something I never usually do) and noticed a clause about installing ad software to keep the CAD program free. It was phrased to include pop-ups, pop-unders, and just about every other form of ad campaigning possible on a computer.

Not friendly.

Audio, you can just change the windows registry to make it work like before.

My pc has too many softwares that do the same function but differently. If I goof at assigning one of them then they might fight each other.

crusty said:
dude, vaseline works great for computer fan shafts. This is no joke.

Am i missing something?

Audioguru said:
My pc has too many softwares that do the same function but differently. If I goof at assigning one of them then they might fight each other.

Yeah, my windoz partition gets like that all the time...

Is there a way to set program defaults in linux? Perhaps styx would know, as he seems like he as used linux for a while now...

depends on the desktop.
Both GNOME and KDE (the two biggies) all have "default application" capability be it system-wide for when something wants to open a web-browser or on an extension basis

in GNOME right-click on an icon and goto "proporties" (last in the option) and then choose "open with"

Most apps when installed will add themselves to the list and from here you can set the default (eg I have ~4 apps that are listed for opening mp3 files).

and yer vaseline is good for fans,a bit warm/fluid is best to pour/get it into the bearings. Even on non-noisy fans it is very good for them

Oh. Ok. I knew that option was there, but it never actually clicked (no pun intended)

crusty said:
dude, vaseline works great for computer fan shafts. This is no joke.
Why use Vaseline when there are a plethora of specialty lubricants available that do the job better and longer? I don't think Vaseline is formulated to withstand warm temperatures generated within a PC case.

Wine does not rhyme with time. Wine rhymes with whine!

AllVol said:
Wine does not rhyme with time. Wine rhymes with whine!
WRONG!
They rhyme just fine, this time. This answer is worth a dime.

Wine is the same as whine, especially if it is bad wine and it makes you whine about it.

Audioguru said:
They rhyme just fine, this time. This answer is worth a dime.

Hey, audio, i thought we agreed; no rapping on this forum. :D

Rhyme rhymes with time.
Wine ryhmes with whine.
There's a time to rhyme,
But don't whine about wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back