Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Graphical LCD dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad language deleted - please respect other posters, otherwise you will be banned.

Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa wait there, i never mentioned this much detail of the project earlier, it was only after your msgs yesterday (blueroomelectronics) that i spilled this much...

I have no idea what the modereated message said but here's my 2c worth.
As ubergeek mentioned and I agree building a 1/4 VGA LCD controller from scratch is very difficult and moreso unnessary IMO.
Based on your description if it was my device I would use a PDA with Bluetooth as most have the screen type you require and most of the hard work is already done including packaging user interface etc...
Get an rs232 based Bluetooth module for your sensors and mount it in the trunk.
I have a Nokia770 with an 800x600 4" display with wifi & bluetoothand it cost less than $150 runs Linux too.
On a sidenote some modern cars with built in navagation displays may have Bluetooth built in. Worth investigating IMO.
I'm typing this on my iPhone which also has Bluetooth

Last edited:
I have no idea what the modereated message said but here's my 2c worth.
As ubergeek mentioned and I agree building a 1/4 VGA LCD controller from scratch is very difficult and moreso unnessary IMO.
Based on your description if it was my device I would use a PDA with Bluetooth as most have the screen type you require and most of the hard work is already done including packaging user interface etc...
Get an rs232 based Bluetooth module for your sensors and mount it in the trunk.
I have a Nokia770 with an 800x600 4" display with wifi & bluetoothand it cost less than $150 runs Linux too.
On a sidenote some modern cars with built in navagation displays may have Bluetooth built in. Worth investigating IMO.
I'm typing this on my iPhone which also has Bluetooth
I don't remember either... I was getting pissed about answers that did not seem to be making any difference and the distinct impression that it was a commercial project.

I do not have any problem with giving pointers ... but the hiding behind the facade of a hobbyist bugged me.

It's sounds more like an epic fail school project. It's like those fellows who want massive 640x480 LED displays yet have zero clue about refresh rate, power requirements and so on. This project is much more complex and we might be able to offer a better solution if only the OP would say what it's for. (Yes its for a car dash but what does it do?)
How does he even plan to wire up an ARM to the display? Good luck on ARM hobby forums with code examples.

I also have a tender spot about lie for the job engineers having had one leave a customer and then consult for them and having him call me a moron continuously in a meeting, and when I was proven right on one point him proceeding to call me a moron on the next point.

They fixed only what they absolutely had to to get the thing to work and then a few other things only got changed when we started charging them for repairs on stuff like the 50V parts that were blowing out since the design regularly put 60V on them. I had told them about that too, but they ignored me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back