Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Graphic LCD - Sharp LM32004

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_e

Hello again,

I've come into posession of two(freebies) Sharp LM32004 graphic LCDs. They are 320x240, monochrome, have 12 pins, use HD61105 and LA5315 ICs and were originally manufactured as screens for credit card readers. I would like to possibly use one of these in a project I am working on, but I cannot find any datasheets or pinout information for the product. Sharp is tight-lipped about this stuff(as per their web site), and it doesn't seem like this model was ever very popular(since Googling for LM32004 brings very few results, and none relevant).

However, I have found a PDF article on Seiko's website that lists cross reference standards for this model of LCD as Optrex DMF50081NF-SF, Samsung UG-32F-03FCBT, and Densitron LMG620B240G320DF.

Does this mean that if I can find a datasheet on one of those other LCDs, the pinout would be compatible with the ones I have? If not, is there any way somebody could help me find pinout information on this model?

Thank you for reading.

Does this mean that if I can find a datasheet on one of those other LCDs, the pinout would be compatible with the ones I have? If not, is there any way somebody could help me find pinout information on this model?

Well, from my experience, it is difficult to give you a definate "yes" or "no". Take simple transistors for instance: Most manufacturers produce common transistor types as replacements to other manufacturers transistors. While they may provide the same result, sometimes the pin-outs of the replacements don't match the pinout of the original transistor. Additionally, I've read articles which describe the fact that although some manufacturers produce a "compatible" replacement part to another manufacturers part number, sometimes the replacement isn't held to as high standards as the original part. For instance:
**broken link removed**

I'm not saying this is always the case, because the parts are often created exactly alike, just with a different part number or manufacturers stamp. What I'm trying to get at here, is that there is a POSSIBILITY that the above may be true in this circumstance, although it is somewhat unlikely.

So, that is my "bad" news so-to-speak. The good news is that you got the displays for free, and you have two of them. You could use the pinout that you have and create a circuit accordingly to test one of your displays. If it works, you're in luck. If it doesn't, or if you damage one display, you still have the other to create refinements / corrections with.

So, I say...try it out.

Thank you for the reply and the information. I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with. Given my newbness, however, it may take a while. That's okay, though, as I am busy with furthering my knowledge of C as we speak, and time is on my side.

-Joe
PS: These displays retail for $150 each! Suuuuuuckers! :)

joe_e said:
Thank you for the reply and the information. I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with. Given my newbness, however, it may take a while. That's okay, though, as I am busy with furthering my knowledge of C as we speak, and time is on my side.

-Joe
PS: These displays retail for $150 each! Suuuuuuckers! :)

Unfortunately, graphic LCD's don't conform to a standard (like text ones do), so you may well have to write code specifically for these particular units.

Thank you, Nigel. I wasn't aware of that. Hopefully after my current studying in C is more advanced, I'll be able to do that. If I don't get that far, well, there's always either eBay or that bottom drawer that random stuff goes into only to never return.

So I can assuming then that the chances of the pinouts being standardized between different manufacturors is pretty low? It sure would save me a lot of time(and studying) if they were, but I suppose learning more than I otherwise would have to is never a bad thing.

Thanks again.

joe_e said:
So I can assuming then that the chances of the pinouts being standardized between different manufacturors is pretty low? It sure would save me a lot of time(and studying) if they were, but I suppose learning more than I otherwise would have to is never a bad thing.

The Feb 2001 edition of EPE included a supplement on using LCD graphics modules, they used a Toshiba based module, which uses the T6963C chip. The article claims this is the closest to a 'standard' that they could find.

Throughout the article they complain about the poor datasheets, which not only don't give you enough information, but are often incorrect as well. Unfortunately they don't have the article available for download, although they do have their LCD text module tutorials available at http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/resources.htm.

The module they used had an 18 pin SIL connector.

The T6963C is the most common, the SED1330 makes up most of the remainder. The SED1330 has a much better interface, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back