Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS Speed Camera Warning Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

cx1

Hi All

I am about to embark upon the January 2005 project from Everyday Practical Electronics which is a Speed Camera Warning Box. An ambitious project But being a poor lorry driver I cant afford the 400 quid for a road angel etc.
It works by using GPS and programmable pics lots of other bits and all for under £100 - thats the plan!

I am going to document my progress here so that any like minded novices may have some referance point to any mistakes I may make.

Having read through the article I concluded that i needed a Pic Programmer.

No sweat a trip down to my local maplins yeilded a 25 quid velleman kit . Could be useful in the future
Started Building it today took a break after getting as far as soldering the ic sockets in 8)

I am now going to the pub for a Pint and a Cigar.
Catch up with you later

Job done

Finished soldering this evening and spent the past 2 hours disecting CYBOT got lots of interesting bits and pieces especially a double 7 segment display

this could be used to display the vehicle speed on the camera watch using the speed output signal from the GPS module - does anyone have any ideas what circuitrty would be needed to incorporate this into the project perpaps as a stand alone board in the box.

Anyway back to the pic progammer forgot to pick up a com lead so will have to wait until tommorrow to test my soldering skills!!!? :|

Re: Job done

cx1 said:
Finished soldering this evening and spent the past 2 hours disecting CYBOT got lots of interesting bits and pieces especially a double 7 segment display

this could be used to display the vehicle speed on the camera watch using the speed output signal from the GPS module - does anyone have any ideas what circuitrty would be needed to incorporate this into the project perpaps as a stand alone board in the box.

Check my PIC tutorials for driving dual seven segment displays!.

Thanks Nigel

While I am waiting for the PCB to arrive from EPE and the GPS module to arrive from Holux I will be having a go at your tutorials and will go to maplins today for the bits for your main boar. Are there any specific enomolies I need I am also going to get the bits for the RS323 Interface need to download camera locations into the camera watch PIC and is says to use a 9 pin female serial socket - but in my disembowelling frenzy last night i recoverd a 7 pin socket. The plug for the socket is on a 9 pin serial cable I wondered if this could be used in its stead as only 7 pins are actually needed. Please see schematic below

Attachments

• 323_interface.gif
    323_interface.gif
    387.8 KB · Views: 1,138
Re: Thanks Nigel

cx1 said:
The plug for the socket is on a 9 pin serial cable I wondered if this could be used in its stead as only 7 pins are actually needed. Please see schematic below

There are usually only three pins required, the ones shown connecting to the MAX232 - I don't know what the pins at the right are doing?, I'll check the article when I get home!.

I've checked the article, the diagram isn't really very helpful?, but I see no reason for more than three wires - the ones to the right of the socket aren't even mentioned at all.

Hi There,

The diagram of the RS232 interface is a little misleading, I'm not sure how that got in (will have to check my copy). The arrows on the right hand side are not intended to be electrical connections, just an indication that the connector goes to the PC. Did you finish the project?

Cheers,

Mike.

p.s. there is a support site for the camerawatch project ( and the mark 2 variant ) here: www.drivesentinel.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back