Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Voice chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICMICRO

I am trying to experiment with voice recording and playback from microcontroller. However, I am not expert in analogue audio amps, preamps, drives, filter, distortion etc things.
So, I found this chip
ISD1700.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ISD1740-40...018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2318d59d72
If I buy this chip, I just need to hook a mic and a speaker directly to the chip, and I will be done. Isn't it?
Any better chips?
Around 60seconds of sounds and average quality.

When in doubt look up the datasheet

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/210765/WINBOND/ISD1740.html

It looks like this chip maxes out at 12 kHz, that's about 1/4 the sampling quality of a CD, roughly as good as the audio you get through a cell phone. At that rate it can handle 26 seconds of audio. page 4 of the datasheet above has a table of the time and quality of different chips. Looks like the ISD1790 or better can give you 60 sec, but still tops out at 12 kHz, which may be ok depending on application, it's about $13 on ebay for that chip. If you aren't sure find some audio clips at 12 kHz and see if they sound ok to you.

as for your question on setup, see page 18, a few support components including a resistor to tune the oscillator are required, the value of which is specified back on page 4.

Last edited:
Don't just look at the 1700, ISD (or whoever owns it now) makes a wide variety of audio frequency input/output chips. These can also be used as custom waveform generators, synchronous motor drivers... it's a candidate for most any cyclical analog waveform. Fun Stuff... <<<)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back