Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Glow plug timer installation

Kiwiwannafly

I have a puzzling issue with the installation of a glow plug timer to replace a faulty factory "Quick Start System" (i.e. glow plug timer) in a 1984 Mazda Parkway bus. The engine/transmission and the majority of electrics is identical to a Ford Trader/Mazda Titan T3000 of the same year.
Attached is a schematic for the timer, glow plug relay and glow plugs.
The replacement timer is an OEX Universal Glow Plug Timer. It has 5 wires: Black -ve, Red ignition, Blue glow plug relay, Yellow negative to dash indicator, Brown to starter relay.
The connections I have made are as follows (OEX wiring to vehicle wiring): Black to chassis earth, Red to B/W from ignition "on", Yellow to G/Y dash indicator, Blue to Y glow plug relay, Brown to B/Y ignition "cranking" (starter motor activated).
The issue that I am having is that the glow plug timer is not activating the glow plug relay. On turning ignition to "on" the dash light illuminates and pulses on and off as the timer switches from constant on (start) to afterglow (a series of shorter pulses). There is 12V output to the blue wire that coincides with the indicator lamp.
With relay and timer disconnected I have checked that the continuity of all wire paths are good. The glow plug relay activates normally when unplugged and 12v is applied to the activation coil.
However when the Y and B connection is made to the relay (with timer connected) the relay doesn't respond. I have also checked that the earth from the relay activation coil (B) is good.
Can anyone give me some guidance as to where I've gone wrong? Suspect it is the timer brown wire to start terminal??
glowplug1024_1.jpg

You need to add something to monitor the voltages on the yellow wire to the glow plug relay and the blue power wire when you would expect the relay to work.

The timer might not have enough power to run the glow plug relay, or there might be a bad connection.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back