Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Type 1 charging plugs for EVs.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
Here is the UK we use the CCS charging plugs that are locked to the car by the car.

On the type 1 plugs that are used for ac charging in the USA, except on Teslas and Nissan Leafs, I think, the plug has a latch that holds it into the car.

My question is, when the car is charging with a type 1 plug, do you need to do anything other than press the release lever on the plug to stop charging and release the cable?

Does it make any difference if the car is locked?

Yes, to stop charging and release the cable with a Type 1 plug, you typically need to press the release lever on the plug, and the latch will release, allowing you to remove the cable. This is the case whether or not the car is locked.
However, it's worth noting that some electric vehicles with Type 1 plugs may have a locking mechanism that prevents the cable from being removed while the car is charging, even if you press the release lever. In this case, you may need to unlock the car or the charging cable itself before the cable can be removed.
Why don´t you read the owner's manual for your specific electric vehicle to understand the specific procedures for stopping charging and releasing the cable?

My question is, when the car is charging with a type 1 plug, do you need to do anything other than press the release lever on the plug to stop charging and release the cable?

Does it make any difference if the car is locked?
Pressing the release on the plug cleanly signals to the car that it should stop charging, so that there's no current flowing by the time the connector pins are pulled apart (so no sparking and resultant damage to the pins or the electronics). It doesn't make any difference whether the car is locked.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back