Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started in Embedded Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ytbyrd

Hi,

I am interested in pursuing a career in embedded systems and wanted to know the best starting point as well as the priorities of things I'll need to learn. I have experience coding in Python, Java, and Go and have done some work with Raspberry Pi's, but that's about it. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Learn basic electronics so you can actually understand what's being programming at the non-abstract hardware level. If you already have basic electronics, take some courses of computer architecture and design.

Last edited:
Great! Would you recommend working with simple breadboards as a start to understanding electronics? I had taken a basic electronics class a LONG time ago, and I remember we worked with breadboards during the course. Any practical books out there that can help as well?

Depends who you ask - the 'old school' would say no, as they are pretty unreliable, and also considerably affect the working of the circuit.
There is huge diference between breadboards made in germany and made in china.

The Arduino site has many get started projects, Youtube the same, most done in
breadboards (BB's). There are designs where layout is critical, like 16 - 20 bit A/D type
designs where absolute accuracy is of concern. Or high speed COM where buss
timing is critical. Those designs would challenge a solderless BB for sure.
But designs that time events like lights, dim lights, alarms....as you see from the
Arduino site and Youtube solderless BB's fine.

Just google "Arduino projects"

If you want to see some crazy but high performance linear design look at Bob Pease's
work, I had the good fortune of talking with him occasionally back in the 70's. Sat
close to him at work.

1628010354606.png

There are even RF work done with breadboards, many techniques for that construction.

Manhattan another technique.

1628010433689.png

You can get the pads at https://qrpme.com/pages/HBREW.php

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
There is huge diference between breadboards made in germany and made in china.
Agree 100%. I used breadboards extensively in the past and only had a problem when I bought them off ebay. Don't seem to be able to buy good ones anymore.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back