Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck3rz

How do you determine the voltage of the generator?

I m suppose to produce electricity by doing a bicycle generator but i m not sure what voltage generator should i use and why.
Anyone can help me?

The voltage will depend on the flux and amount of coils if you want to look at it from a mathematical perspective. If you want to look at it on the quantitative side, in an ideal situation, a 24V motor can produce 24V while being turned at the RPM it would normally spin at when attached to a 24V power source. This is for DC motors of course, you could also look into Stepper motors.

Spin the motor shaft... measure the voltage produced under load....

That topic has been covered on the forums multiple times and the information is easily searchable on Google.

It would be a bit more complicated than your simplification. You would need to maintain over 13.8V to charge a lead acid battery. 12V would essential be its peak voltage. If it were up to me I'd use a 24V motor with a 12V lead acid battery, and would gear the motor to ouput ~14.5-15V.

What is going to be turning the motor?

a bicycle which is used to turn the generator and it is connected to a charge controller then to a 12volt lead acid battery

alternatively, the generator is also connected to a series of LED and 7-segment to show the amount of voltage produce by the user. it is programmed by virtual instrument, some sort of interactive games to show students who is able to produce more voltage

Sounds awesome! Ive been wanting to do something like this :) But haven't had the money for an inverter or the batteries or the bicycle to mod XD.

I'll gladly try to figure this out with you along the way :)

Do you have any microcontroller experience? Any electrical experience?

i m from currently studying electrical engineering
i have learnt micro controller but still figuring out how do it really works

hey.. If i use a 28Ah battery, how do i determine the rating of the charge controller?
And if so, would a 24V,8A,1800rpm generator be appropiate

hey.. If i use a 28Ah battery, how do i determine the rating of the charge controller?
If you think the generator might produce 8A, then the charge controller should be this much, plus a safety margin. 8A would charge a 28AH battery in around 3 hours.
And if so, would a 24V,8A,1800rpm generator be appropiate
24V, 8A is about 1/3 horsepower. Your charge controller would need to be designed to manage the burden (demanding less power). Some athletes can generate that much power, but you can ask them not to.

If your "bicycle" rider is achieving a virtual 10mph, that's around 50 to 100 rpm. A "1800rpm" generator would need to have some gearing (some of this can be done in electronics). Beware of losses in gears and chains.

Does anyone have a schemetic of a charge controller which does not use PV but a voltage regulator ... i m not really sure how it goes, but definelty not using charge contoller with a solar source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back