Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate drive circuitry for IGBT half-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinkleBell

I am doing a project on designing the gate drive circuit and power supply unit fot an IGBT half-bridge circuit.

Tried to find some information on gate drive, but was even more confused after looking at some pdf documents.

So will appreciate if somebody can advise me on what is the gate drive for and how does it look like in general?

Moreover, why do I have to look at the power supply unit too? Why is protection necessary and between what components?

Do I have to focus on the internal workings of IGBT or the general working of half-bridge topology?

Does a half-bridge topology always mean that its a DC-AC converter?

8)
The IGBT(Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) like it name sound, have a two transistor structure, MOS-FET + bipolar, and is controlled on MOS-FET gate terminal. So, I supose that your drive circuit is the circuit for driving the IGBT gate.
Usually the control circuit for a bridge or half bridge is designate for control eatch IGBT through a gate drive circuit.
The power supply, I supose, is for this control circuit and all gate drive circuits.
The gate drive circuit for IGBT is very similar with one for MOS-FET.
Bellow is a gate drive circuit designated to drive a IRF740 MOS-FET from a half bridge of a switching DC source.
[/img]

Attachments

• DRIVER_166.gif
    DRIVER_166.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,602
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back