Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
RF garage door openers?
I always thought they worked by majic! :lol: :lol:

you could check h**p://www.electronics-project-design.com/DoorMonitor.html. they have something interesting related to this.

DragonMaster0121 said:
what's the range of RF? (how many feet)

It varies with many factors, the most important being the power, operational frequency, and the terrain. A device like this will be 'licence free', as such it uses very low power and operates at a Ultra High Frequency (UHF), this gives it a fairly short range.

As there's not point opening your garage door when you're not near it, a long range isn't required - generally 50 to 100 feet would be the sort of range you might get.

alright, now i'll finally get to my big question.

i want to build an automated garage that will open the garage door automatically when the car pulls in, beep when the car's in the right position, and close the door automatically.

i have some ideas but i'm not sure how to build it.

i will need a rf transmitter in the car, and then a receiver in the garage to control the door.

for the parking, i'll need a laser on the ceiling, and a receiver on the dash.

so, you pull up, the door opens, then you pull in and when the laser hits the receiver, it beeps letting you know to stop and transmits another signal to the door to tell it to shut.

will that work?

for power, i was thinking of putting in a cigarette lighter adapter.

also, most garage door openers are toggled right? (one button opens and closes) so i'll need to change that (not sure how) because if its constantly transmitting, the door will shut on the car when i'm pulling in ;).

and, maybe i'll need a sensor on the floor of the garage to tell when the door's shut. so : if door=open and laser is hitting receiver THEN shut door and if door=closed and laser is hitting receiver THEN open door.

is this too complicated?

garage matters

ahhhh! that is very interesting. How about using a sound-activated relay? You could make use of a bistable circuit. First horn takes the flip-flop to state 1(motor on) and after you've entered, you horn again for flip-flop to return to state 0(motor off).
This should work of course, only that during a thunderstorm your garage might just be opening and closing uncontrollably :lol:

Good idea that one about using the horn. Except the neighbors probably won't see the ingenuity of it. Especially if you come home late at night.

Just kidding.

yes it would work, but i'm thinking of IR and not RF. I thinking for this project an IR would be suitable since the distance to be monitored isn't much.
You could put the IR/receiver module either vertically or horizontally some distance away from the garage, such that the oncoming car breaks the IR falling on the module.
I don't think you have any problem.

aibelectronics said:
yes it would work, but i'm thinking of IR and not RF. I thinking for this project an IR would be suitable since the distance to be monitored isn't much.
You could put the IR/receiver module either vertically or horizontally some distance away from the garage, such that the oncoming car breaks the IR falling on the module.
I don't think you have any problem.

you can do a sound activated device that you can activate with the horn of your car when your on position

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back