• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

''Furnas air compressor'' question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdkanz

New Member
I just bought a old little ''furnas'' air compressor that has a electrical box thing on it that say ''MAX POWER 1Hp 110 - 220V'' so i connected the wires to a power cable and plugged it in for about 2 seconds and it was really loud and smelled like it was burning. i could also see sparks. i'm wondering if all small compressors are loud and if the smell was burning dust. but i don't get why it was sparking.
 

Mike_2545

Super Moderator
What voltage did you plug it into?

A: yes most compressors are loud.
A: if the compressor was covered in dust, it may burn, they get hot.



Maybe it was malfunctioning so they decided to sell it.
 

magickaldan

New Member
Was the Air Compressor throwing sparks or was the Electric Motor throwing sparks? If the motor was could be burnt windings bad brushes. If motor was then could be alot wrong.

Depends where the sparks are coming from exactly and make sure what the wiring is set up for 110 or 240 before plugin it in. If wired for 110 and pluged into 240 could burn the motor up real fast. It should have a diagram on the motor to see what wires are to be hooked up for a certain voltage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top