Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fror discussion - product labeling (solering/brazing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
I need you ask you guys a question:

A retail product label has:
An 8 digit number (It's not an order number)
Brand
Registered trademark
Silver Solder Kit, also in two other languages

Lead free, also in two other languages

The back has wire diameter, in two other languages
Amount of liquid flux in teo other languages

A Warning label, UPC and a brief address

Now this was blister packed in a retail store.

In the MSDS INSIDE it claims that it's a 3.4-3.8% Silver and the balance is Tin

What's wrong with this picture.

Aside: Silver soldering and brazing are terms that are used interchangibly incorrectly.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with it. It looks like a cheap silver brazing alloy, but there are a gazillion types out there. All the silver soldering I've done and seen others do is what we called in the high vacuum industry brazing (some people mistakenly think brazing is only done with brass alloys). But the common term is silver soldering, whether or not you consider it soldering. In fact, soldering and brazing don't really differ, although some people will define the difference in terms of the melting point of the brazing material. It's a productive garden for pedants. :D

Mmm:

I think the alloy should be included. The pics in this seach: https://images.google.com/search?tb...67l5463l0l6314l9l9l2l0l0l0l298l1354l2.0.5l7l0

at least the ones I can see, have the alloy percentages on the spool. In this case, I have to open the package to see what I am buying. Don't you think it's wrong and deceiving?

I liken it to worse than soda or pop being labeled, Company Name, High Fructose Corn Syrup with no mention of flavor.

"Silver solder" is a selling point. I suspect you are lucky it contains more than a trivial amount of silver. As you know, ingredients for foods (probably anything regulated by the FDA) are listed in decreasing order of the amount there. I don't know that the same requirement applies to non-food items.

John

I appreciate it when the alloy is on the label, but I do not think it should be required by regulation. There are many proprietary solder/brazing products for which only ranges for the alloy are given in the MSDS.

In the present case, the alloy was given in the MSDS to give you (KISS) the information you needed.

John

Yes the alloy should ,and must be im certain..

The cheap silver solder is often solder used in plumbing ..no lead solder anywhere in plumbing these days ..so whether or not its lead/tin or silver/tin is very important where potable water supply is concerned .
Also the silver "bearing" solder ,not silver solder--two different beast..The silver bearing solder offers a little more tensile strength when patching a radiator core,or soldering Copper M or Copper L pipe
Copper K pipe is normally silver brazed as Copper K is usually used in refrigeration ,high pressure pressure applications

More Coffee:

I understand your comments and I thing 3-4% silver and the balance of Tin should be Silver bearing Solder.

The plumbing stuff is usually a Tin/Antimony solder.

I was aware of the copper designations and it makes sense to use Copper K for high pressure.

The company in question says this stuff is "Silver solder" and I say they need to provide more info on the RETAIL packaging, particularly Alloy and/or solidus and liqudus points.

So, far there seems to be no one that really agrees with me that:
1. Important info is missing from the retail package. (alloy and/or solidus/liquidus points)
2. A google image search of solder brings up spools with the alloy on them if you can get to a pic that you can read. Sometimes it's just 50/50 or 63/37 and not the elements.

So,

1b. Do you agree with me that alloy should be on the package and why?
2b. Do you agree that not providing it visibly on the retail package is like buying grape soda as "High fructose corn syrup manufactured by the ABC company". Flavor would be an importany part of the purchasing decision just as alloy type is?
3b. 3-4% and the balance tin is Silver bearing Solder, not "Silver Solder"

The other real question is when you hear "Silver solder", do you think "silver brazing rod" or not?

1b. Do you agree with me that alloy should be on the package and why?
Yes, so you know exactly what you are buying.

2b. Do you agree that not providing it visibly on the retail package is like buying grape soda as "High fructose corn syrup manufactured by the ABC company". Flavor would be an importany part of the purchasing decision just as alloy type is?
Yes.

3b. 3-4% and the balance tin is Silver bearing Solder, not "Silver Solder"
Yes

The other real question is when you hear "Silver solder", do you think "silver brazing rod" or not?
Yes, brazing rod.

Jimb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back