Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free Video Splicing/Joining Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I was looking for software to more easily split video files (which my video conversion software can also do, but it's very unwieldly) and join video files (which my conversion software can't do at all). ANd I ran by this free software that appears to be discontinued so now it's free. The software is a trial download, but they give you a the registration keys for free.

Free AVI Splitter,MPEG Splitter,AVI MPEG RM WMV/ASF Joiner,Split Video File,AVI Converter

What container formats do you need to support?

AVI, MOV, MKS, WMV, etc. The extension on the file is the container format. It's completely independent of the codecs used on the audio/video data itself.

MPEG (and VOBs) is a different beast altogether. Take a look at Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows. Mpeg Streamclip will do almost any MPEG type stuff, and it also handles a variety of other containers as well.

The only tool I know of that will do everything is ffmpeg, but it's command line only and has a much higher learning curve due to it's enormous feature count.

The one place you'll start running into issues is if the codecs don't match between the files. Then you have to do re-encodes to make everything the same. But as long as the same codecs are used in all the files, there should be no problem putting them back together.

MPEG will actually be a little easier, as it specifies the container and the codec.

The only tool I know of that will do everything is ffmpeg, but it's command line only and has a much higher learning curve due to it's enormous feature count.

Agreed... I use mplayer/mencoder in combination with ffmpeg. Cinelerra is also a fantastic tool on linux but very complex and occasionally buggy.

Thanks for the heads up smaches, good to have several in the toolbox.

I use Pinnacle Studio Plus and Final Cut Pro. They cost but they are complete and reliable.... and professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back