Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transfer video tape to computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I've got some old VCR tapes that I want to transfer to computer. I "acquired" (was supposed to bin it) a video recorder and can now play the tapes. The VCR has RF and RCA (L-R-V)outputs so I can watch on TV. However, I can't see any way to record to computer. All the TV out connectors output what the TV is tuned to, not what it is displaying.

Is there a (cheap) device that will take RCA and convert to a format I can record? I have a (linux) box which will take RF in but it only recognizes digital signals not the old analogue signal. It also has RCA and HDMI but these appear to be output only.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Mike.

Hey Mike, you're going to need some form of capture card, something similar to this (The USB one):

Thanks Mickster, that's exactly what I need. Time to see if I can get one locally.

Mike.

Jaycar choice is poor, compared to Dick Smith:

Amazon has plenty:

If you are concerned about no-name brands, I used a Hauppauge device in years gone by and it worked perfectly, so that's one out of the list that I would go for.

Just ordered one off Amazon. https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0794WMXXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Noticed in the description it states free software but in the "package included:" doesn't mention a DVD!! I'll find out next week.

Mike.
Looks to be about the same thing which was in the 1st link:

"Easy CAP" vs "Easier CAP", and the dongles both look identical...wouldn't worry though, since there's plenty of free capture software out there.

Just wondered what box you will be using this on, because the one you ordered says this:
"OS: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, WINDOWS 7 32 Bit, but not Win 7 64 bit "

"OS: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, WINDOWS 7 32 Bit, but not Win 7 64 bit "
Whoops, I'm on Win7 64!!! Luckily, my laptop is dual boot into Ubuntu also (too), wonder if it'll run under Wine.

I'll find out next week.

Mike.

I've got the exact same unit, works fine on Win10 64 bit. I've never actually used it yet, just tested it - I bought it because it was only £5 or so from AliExpress, and I've got some tapes 'somewhere' :D

I had the tapes but no player. Found a player in school that was to be scrapped so I scrapped it to my lounge. It's a Samsung and no remote to be found but a universal one worked. Will see if this unit will work on Win7-64 or Wine. If not I can easily install Win7-32 on my laptop. The requirements seem very old - CPU: Pentium III 800 above Required!!! May even work installed in "compatible" mode.

Mike.

I had the tapes but no player. Found a player in school that was to be scrapped so I scrapped it to my lounge. It's a Samsung and no remote to be found but a universal one worked. Will see if this unit will work on Win7-64 or Wine. If not I can easily install Win7-32 on my laptop. The requirements seem very old - CPU: Pentium III 800 above Required!!! May even work installed in "compatible" mode.

Mike.

Like I said, it works fine under Win10 64 bit - I've still got a couple of Sharp VCR's somewhere, a HiFi stereo one I used to use, and a mono one that was in my daughters bedroom (it's seen a LOT of Thomas The Tank Engine!).

Worth trying in compatibility mode, you never know.

I suspect the specs are low because it's old technology - no point in creating new technology when it wouldn't be any better, and VCR's are long dead.

Speaking of old technology, I think I've still got an original XP install disk. Maybe I can make my laptop triple boot.

Mike.

During this COVID-19 lockdown, I transferred 15 years worth of my family's VHS tapes.

The way I did it, many years ago I had purchased a VHS + DVD recorder. I suddenly realized after reading the manual (yes, I was that much bored to find appealing to read old manuals) that I could copy the tapes into DVDs.
I know, I know........RTFM :)

So I first transferred them to DVD, and then on my computer played them and converted them to MP4 with the help of AnyVideoConverter share ware.
Sent them to my grownup kids, and saved them both at my hard drive and an external drive.

I'm so glad that I did, as shortly after I finished them, the equipment went kaput. Most likely is a mechanical function in the tape loading and transport, haven't figured it out yet.

I'm so glad that I did, as shortly after I finished them, the equipment went kaput. Most likely is a mechanical function in the tape loading and transport, haven't figured it out yet.

If you're done, is there a point to figuring it out? Or are you still recording new VHS tapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back