Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Forked spade crimps for mains wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I know we have a few electricians and others who have done wiring.

I am wiring my shop with AWG 12 stranded wire in conduit. To connect to outlets I need to use forked spade crimp terminals.

The charts say to use #10 yellow connectors but the #8 blue slides nicely over the stripped wire.

Can I use connectors from an auto parts store or Ebay. Mouser want 16 cents and Newark 22 cents each. On **broken link removed**they are 7 cents.

BlueSpade-8.jpg

I know we have a few electricians and others who have done wiring.

I am wiring my shop with AWG 12 stranded wire in conduit. To connect to outlets I need to use forked spade crimp terminals.

The charts say to use #10 yellow connectors but the #8 blue slides nicely over the stripped wire.

Can I use connectors from an auto parts store or Ebay. Mouser want 16 cents and Newark 22 cents each. On **broken link removed**they are 7 cents.

View attachment 43584

Use ring lugs, not forks. If the screw loosens over time the terminal won't fall out.

Last edited:
I'd recommend using the correct lug for that wire, and crimping with the correct slot in the crimpping. Is the insulation rated THHN? That would be why it would fit into the sleeve of a blue. Also, I'd go to Home Depot or Lowes or even True Value and get the UL/CSA approved devices; probably cheaper anyway sans shipping. The style lug pictured is the one you need as the screws in duplex outlets, lamp fixtures, breakers, etc are generally end stamped to keep them on and removing them to put a ring lug on may strip the threads. Just take care when tightening so one or both tangs don't spread out when tightened down.

EDIT: Just sat down with a cup and started thinking about things. If you are putting multiple outlets on the same breaker, the right and safe way is to pigtail at each box in the circuit. That eliminates the need for lugs altogether...just join the incoming line, hot neut. and gnd, with those going to the next box with wire nuts and the short drop leg #12 solid or #14 solid if using 15A outlets. That keeps the total current from passing through the first outlet, etc on down the line, it's safe, cheaper and easier in my book.

Last edited:
I prefer to use the outlets that have built in terminal correctly designed to grab onto stranded wire. They may cost around $1 more each but if you cant afford them you cant afford to rebuild the place when it burns down!

Does your electrical code require stranded wire in a home?
In Milwaukee, all I have seen is solid wire.
We used stranded wire when I built test sets for Rockwell, but that was in a industrial environment and not in a conduit.

Do not use solid wire with a crimp connector, the wire will work itself loose over time in the crimp.
Use the correct tool for insulated and non insulated connectors. E

I prefer to use the outlets that have built in terminal correctly designed to grab onto stranded wire. They may cost around $1 more each but if you cant afford them you cant afford to rebuild the place when it burns down!

I strongly agree with this. I would use outlets (good quality outlets) designed to grab stranded wire. I would also use only 20 amp rated outlets and favor the brand names like Cooper and Leviton and only their better stuff. The good stuff cost more but in the long run is the best bet especially from a safety standpoint.

If I were to do a job like this and did use spade lugs I would use uninsulated made for AWG 12 simply because you will get what I feel is a better crimp using the correct tool for uninsulated lugs. I would also use quality lugs like Thomas & Betts and make sure to avoid the cheap Chinese garbage.

Just My Take
Ron

Do not use solid wire with a crimp connector, the wire will work itself loose over time in the crimp.
Use the correct tool for insulated and non insulated connectors. E

No need for a crimp connector on solid wire.
Just wrap around the terminal screw and tighten, which is not as secure with stranded wire as tightening tends to spread the wires out and several strands may not be secure.

This is a metal building I am fitting out as a workshop.

The wire is THHN.

I live in the boonies. No Lowes or Home Depot in over 100 miles. Most of the supplies are purchased from the local electrician. He stocks the stuff he uses. The outlets are Leviton but for solid wire.

Found enough blue crimps in my stock to finish the circuit I was worked on. The crimping action was very good.

MRCecil said:
If you are putting multiple outlets on the same breaker, the right and safe way is to pigtail at each box in the circuit. That eliminates the need for lugs altogether...just join the incoming line, hot neut. and gnd, with those going to the next box with wire nuts and the short drop leg #12 solid or #14 solid if using 15A outlets. That keeps the total current from passing through the first outlet, etc on down the line, it's safe, cheaper and easier in my book.

This method had crossed my mind but I rejected it because I will be running additional circuits through the same conduit and outlet boxes and was thinking it would be easier without the extra wires and wirenuts. This is a run of 3 boxes on the underside of an I beam so there is no easy way to not have the other wires pass though the boxes.

Using outlets designed for use with stranded wire is a great idea but I did not have a source for them.

Regarding not using forked crimps because they will fall off when the screws loosen over time. There is no good reason for the screws to loosen. If the screws do get loose I expect the arcing will ruin the crimp anyway.

I would not use crimps on solid wire.

Regarding not using forked crimps because they will fall off when the screws loosen over time. There is no good reason for the screws to loosen. If the screws do get loose I expect the arcing will ruin the crimp anyway.

Old habits never die I guess, in your application they will work.
I was caught once on a ship using fork terminals.

After the flogging, I was forced to right.

"I will only use RING terminals..."

500 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.