Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For good reasons - towel heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss something? Other than stating an opinion, I did not read anything from Papa Bravo that justified banning him. I don't get it!
You missed the post where a moderator of a certain nationality was insulted. I believe the actual post was deleted. By getting banned, Papabravo actually proved his point very well IMHO.

The originating post should not have been deleted, but that's not the first time I've disagreed with Nigel on his moderating techniques. That being said I think Nigel was perfectly justified in smacking Papabravo over it, mind you I might have done a 12 hour ban myself, and been a little more subtle about it.

Just in case anyone cares about my two cents =)

Last edited:
As the late great Joseph Campbell once said, religious text and mythology whether it be the Quran, the Bible, or a tale such a Gligamesh all have one thing in common.

These are tales that teach us how our choices in life have consequences, be it good or bad. If there is anything that we should learn from these ancient text is that all should follow a code of conduct. No belief in a higher power is required, rather a rule book that we should model. In much of the ancient text tolerance and kindness is mentioned, yet so many have missed this message.

Did I have a point? Yeah, I share Papa bravos sentiment's, slamming another culture is just another brick in the wall that separates us.

Last edited:
And the point of my big post before this was that that stupid comment wasn't even a slamming of another cultural norm. The joke was aimed at the media that decry political correctness as a way of life. Apparently you've all missed the point...

I stayed in Turkey for more than four years and never ever somebody approachmed me with the idea to convert to the islamic religion.

There are more moderate islamic people than there are fanatic ones.

E.g. drinking alcohol is an absolute NO according to that religion. However I made acqaintance of many Turks saying:

"Allah sees everything, but he can't check serveral places simultaneously." :)

In Germany islamic people go from one house to another and try to get people to convert to their "only true" religion. (We use call those people "door handle cleaners")

Concerning papa bravo's post, i felt like having been hit by a boot underneath the belt line.

Boncuk

"Allah sees everything, but he can't check serveral places simultaneously." :)
That's pretty good. Gotta love people like that.
In Germany islamic people go from one house to another and try to get people to convert to their "only true" religion. (We use call those people "door handle cleaners")
Haven't seen any Islamic ones here, but lots of Jehovah's and Christians.

Concerning papa bravo's post, i felt like having been hit by a boot underneath the belt line.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. He'll be back in 72 hrs. :)
Maybe we should add "slurs" and "AVR vs PIC" to the popular expression, “Never discuss politics or religion in mixed company.”

Last edited:
Oh, Jehovah's here tend to convert everyting that crosses in their way. To do so, they carry a huge belt with 200 rounds of "the ultimate manual to avoid hell", and shoot them in a five round burst every time. They miss 99% of their targets :D

Instead "Fanatic" Christian churches use less invasive converting methods, and grow amazingly!

Some of them started in a garage, now they have this: **broken link removed**
(The actual building is like two and half the space shown in the picture)

Entire buildings, TV stations, all kind of vehicles, bodyguards... It's a growning mafia. But they make some people happier, so I don't care about them too much.

Last edited:
Maybe we should add "slurs" and "AVR vs PIC" to the popular expression, “Never discuss politics or religion in mixed company.”

I suppose that is not the best idea. AVR and PIC freaks argue somehow similar to catholics and protestants. :D

Most microcontrollers aren't even used to their max capacity in hobby applications. It's hardly worth arguing about specs, since most any brand will perform just as well as the other.

People who that are easily offended, will usually find something you say, offensive, no matter how careful you try to be. Words don't have any power over us, that we don't give them, consider the source, are they really so much better than anybody else? Shouldn't let things get to you, it empowers the others.

Your got me but do not blame it on the school system, they tried but I am not wired for spelling.

The spelling of some words do not come to me naturally. Others look wrong when spelled right.

3v0

My browser spell-checks automatically, sometimes the suggested replacements don't include the word I was trying to spell, takes a couple of tries to get close enough. Don't usually correct people, but couldn't resist when you talk about teaching...

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite sayings.

"I take offense to that!"

Regardless of whether the other persons intent was to cause offense, if you do not take it, it means nothing. Never understood why people got offended by words. The only reason someone tries to offend is to make you upset anyway, so why just play into their hands?

It does not matter if someone is giving offense or not; if you do not take it, it does not exist.

Never understood why people got offended by words.

I wouldn't say that.

I think offending by words is easier than "body work". If it's done in a very subtile way words can hurt a lot.

Just a short example: How would you feel if your boss refuses to give you a certain goal to achieve saying?:

"As far as my experience with you is concerned you won't be able to handle that problem."

I bet that hurts.

After such an insult you have two choices: Dig a big hole and disappear in it or quit your job.

I did something similar during my Air Force time. I agreed flying a spy mission over GDR territory (completely illegal and inofficial) but had to have a second pilot. Nobody volunteered because everybody was afraid of SAMs and AAA. I spread out the news that our recce wing was full with cowards.

I got the pilot! :D

It's the meaning behind the words. And people tend to imply a lot that isn't there. Especially if they're insecure about their beliefs in the first place.

Aren't they all? - I thought all 'Christian' dates were simply copied from the older pagan religions?. Just swapping one bogus group syphoning money and goods from the populace for a different one.
Somewhat correct, but not entirely. There are Christian celebration dates that existed prior. It's been an age old confrontation between the two, vying for the attention of or creating distraction to each others followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back