Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM receiver modification (how low can u go?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

I'm trying to perfect a 3volt transmitter. I was getting SOO sick of competing with other radio stations, so i tried to modify my receiver to receive below 88-108 MHZ. I did this by connecting a capacitor in parallel with the tuning capacitor. The trouble is, i cannot hear my transmitter below 88 MHZ, in fact, i can't hear anything. I did this same thing with another radio and was able to hear tv stations and other noises, but with this radio, all that i hear is that FM hiss.

My question is this: The receiver consists of three chips and a bunch of components. Is it normal for radio chips to limit how low i can go?

well if it's superhet, you would have to make changes in two places: input circuit and oscillator and this has to be done carefully so you get same difference (10.7MHz). If not, you will get something pretty much as you describe.

what is the input circuit? and is there any way of telling if it is a superhet? its just a little piece of junk radio with an earphone jack.

hmm, very strange, it definitely doesn't work. ive tried tons of different value caps, 6,10,15,22,33,39. i even plugged in a 5-65pf cap and that didnt work. ah well, i guess its a lost cause with this receiver. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back