Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyback Tesla Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yergaderga

What is this lacking? Thanks!
Yergaderga

Attachments

• Flyback Tesla Coil.png
    Flyback Tesla Coil.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 187
There are several things. First, as you mentioned, you're missing the tank capacitor. Second, you're missing your protection circuitry. The way you have it set up now you're very likely to fry your FET and 555 timer due to back-EMF and voltage spikes coming from the coil. Furthermore, R3 is connected just like a regular resistor. You should have the wiper pin connected to one side. What's it supposed to be doing anyway? The way it's connected now it'll probably burn up instantly. I also don't understand what C3, C4, and C5 are doing. If they're supposed to be filter caps they should not be in series, they should be in parallel. The + sides should be connected to the (+) side of the bridge rectifier, and the - side of the caps should be connected to the (-) side of the rectifier.

That's just for starters. Once you get it cleaned up a bit we can take a closer look. Making the schematic neater would make it much easier to follow :)

Regards,
Matt

I figured it was lacking protection circuitry, but I don't really know what to use for it. Also, I forgot I was going to mess with the potentiometer. I thought that was how it was connected, but I wasn't sure. Also, I do need to organize it, and thanks for having the patience to look through it for me! I usually see pots or resistors connected to the drain, so that's why the potentiometer is there. Do I need a resistor there? Also yes, those caps were to smooth out the signal, but I have a 200 some volt, 300 some microfarad capacitor I might use instead of three. It'd the size of a D battery. Also, I must have accidentally connected the rectifier incorrectly. Thanks,
Yergaderga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back