Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flight simulator wind effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon069d

Hello,
I’m after a bit of advice please. I am building a cockpit style flight simulator for WW2 sim game and would like to add some wind effects into the system. I have two 5v usb mini 4” fans which I intend to mount in front of the seat, either side of the displays. I also have a throttle control on a sliding mechanism (a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle). I would like to know if I could modify the throttle to control the speed of these fans. From off (aircraft engine off) slow speed on start up and then increasing with throttle movement. The idea is to give the feel of prop wash as the rpm is increased.
The throttle has space enough inside to mount a sliding potentiometer / rheostat and I could break the power circuit of the usb fans to wire in the variable controller no problem. I just don’t know what to use or what resistance / rating of required component? I have also read that just sticking a variable controller in line is quite an amateurish solution? Is this so? Is there such a thing available that is controlled by a variable controller that would allow me to tweak the min and max output of the voltage or current?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• D19F6462-A6B4-477B-935C-D9460FC1C421.jpeg
    D19F6462-A6B4-477B-935C-D9460FC1C421.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 160
  • E8F38E89-F64E-45FB-A4BB-209DB7754383.png
    E8F38E89-F64E-45FB-A4BB-209DB7754383.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips