Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to wind a transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building another fluorescent light inverter thing, and it says to use a ferrite rod as the transformer core. Any advice on how to do this? (It doesn't have a bobbin) Also should I put insulating tape between the layers on the secondary? Last time I built one of these on a standard bobbin it blew the secondary in like 10 minutes. Also what size heatsink would be advisable for the tip3055? Heres the inverter schematic (https://free-schematic.blogspot.com/2010/04/20-watt-fluoro-inverter-used-tip3055.html)

Thanks in advance -Ray, KD2JID

#1 Use what's called magnet wire. it's Formvar, a varnish, insulated. The primary should be closest to the rod. The secondary on top. No insulation between windings. make the wire as close as possible. Remember,
the same direction.

There is a big difference in wire size, so a layer of fish paper might help a little bit

There is a mounting kit for the TO220 that contains a thermal washer (Silpad), a screw, a nut and a bellville washer. the washer is a critical component. it has a dome shape. A Silpad will not require thermal grease. Other washers might.

remember to remove the 2.2 ohm resistor after testing.

there is a 13 turn feedback winding. make sure the turns are equally spaced. I'd probably use the larger diameter wire.

The polarity of the windings are not marked. i think the FB winding will make a difference. have some extra 2.2 ohm resistors (metal oxide)

You might be able to use a low speed drill, but you would have to support it at both ends. e.g. a Live center in a lathe/

A 10cm long bar will break easy.

if you wound a toroid, you would use the manual winding tool which is a long piece of flat stock (10 cm or longer)that fits through the torroid and it has the wire loosely wound on it.

I remember doing 80 turns on a toroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back