Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flashing LCD Keychains – how do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avec

Stumbled upon a video on youtube of a flashing LCD keychain in action. I guess these are corny, but still it is interesting how they operate. Most of them are 6x3x0.8cm. Do you think they can be made even smaller and thinner?

Link the video. I've thought about that, just to make my keys easier to find. They could be based on the Joule Thief.

An LCD does not flash. An LED can flash.
An LED uses power from the battery to make light. If the battery is tiny then it does not last long.

The LCD keyrings do not flash. They simply show their screen then go black, on and off.
An LCD does not make light.

@audioguru, I agree. LCDs flicker, not flash.

Now, it would be nice to find out how do Solar LCD keyrings function.

I'd like to think that Light Emitting LCD's are possible then. The key is to add small amount of organic molecules to the liquid crystals -same like OLED's. What you think?

I'd like to think that Light Emitting LCD's are possible then. The key is to add small amount of organic molecules to the liquid crystals -same like OLED's. What you think?
Nope.
The battery and the solar panel that charges it are too small to create light.

Here it is said that the device in question consists of a “solar battery”, LCD screen and a circuit board. It appears that blinking is powered by “Gutta gel or ultrasonic”. What is that?

It's not powered by Gutta gel or ultrasonic, that's just a marketing term for the artwork which is optional.

Gutta gel or ultrasonic artwork optional

Last edited:
They are Chinese and their Engrish is horrible.
Maybe it turns its LCD screen on and off (it doesn't blink and it doesn't flash) only when it is being powered with sunlight. Then in the dark it does nothing.

I would say the LCD flashes whether it lights up or not. If someone pulls down their pants and exposes their private parts to someone else, then quickly pulls their pants back up they are said to be flashing at the other person.

The LCD flashes in sunlight. It is solar powered and does not flash in the dark. It uses an LCD which doesn't produce light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back