Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Five more days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything for you in there, or just shoes???

No, nothing for me, but she's not big on shoes either :D

In fact she struggles finding shoes she can wear, as she became diabetic and had a major foot infection - resulting in the big toe bone in her right foot been eaten away, so it no longer bends at all, here's a picture from the hospital, when it was looking a LOT better :nailbiting:

Attachments

• 21112013397.jpg
    21112013397.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 241
WOW...and I thought I had issues..

That look's sore Nigel...your poor Wife :eek::eek:

Ian ^^^

Stop bragging about your perceived weapon of destruction...as related to foot size......
Your poor Wife too....

Only 2 1/2. Oh heck I envy you with your frigate...shoes :):):)
I have a used Battleship.......seen Wars but still good to go....

Also built to very TIGHT specifications..

And I will leave it there.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Yikes!! Is it all better now?

As good as it's going to get, the big toe has no movement and sticks up somewhat, and she gets pain from the foot on a regular basis, particularly when the weather is damp.

The picture was taken after a couple of days of honey bandage treatment, which produced amazing results - prior to that there were 13 or so open wounds with puss running from them :eek:

In fact she was taken to have the foot scanned (in a wheelchair), and they unwrapped the foot to do it - and send her back with the foot unwrapped - leaving a trail of puss all down the hospital corridors.

Amputation was mentioned a few times as a possible outcome.

^^^I know you are not talking to me....but I will chirp anyway....that must be SORE Nigel....what does Melissa think/say about her Mom's foot..

Regards,
tvtech

Nigel Goodwin

Honey, due to it hypertonicity and maybe some other factors, is an old-time remedy for bacterial infection and will reduce some edema. I once knew a neurosurgeon(!) who sprinkled granulated sugar from the cafeteria on open surgical wounds based on that fact. A little knowledge can be harmful. He thought it would prevent infection. Spores do perfectly well in hypertonic media until the tonicity decreases, and then they germinate and can cause infection. Just to mention three common spore forming organisms to consider: Clostridium perfringens, Clostridium tetani, and Clostridium botulinum. With diabetics, one of the greatest infections risks faced is from yeasts (e.g., Candida species, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast). Honey will not treat those infections.

I hope our wife does well, and I also hope the honey therapy is being supplemented with appropriate antibiotics, cultures of the wound, physical therapy, and surgical intervention (if indicated). Honey, of course, has no proven efficacy in improving vascularization. This is not specific medical advice, but is simply a reiteration of some basic principles.

I wish you and your wife the best.

John

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin

Honey, due to it hypertonicity and maybe some other factors, is an old-time remedy for bacterial infection and will reduce some edema. I once knew a neurosurgeon(!) who sprinkled granulated sugar from the cafeteria on open surgical wounds based on that fact. A little knowledge can be harmful. He thought it would prevent infection. Spores do perfectly well in hypertonic media until the tonicity decreases, and then they germinate and can cause infection. Just to mention three common spore forming organisms to consider: Clostridium perfringens, Clostridium tetani, and Clostridium botulinum. With diabetics, one of the greatest infections risks faced is from yeasts (e.g., Candida species, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast). Honey will not treat those infections.

I hope our wife does well, and I also hope the honey therapy is being supplemented with appropriate antibiotics, cultures of the wound, physical therapy, and surgical intervention (if indicated). Honey, of course, has no proven efficacy in improving vascularization. This is not specific medical advice, but is simply a reiteration of some basic principles.

I wish you and your wife the best.

John

John, if you could comment on "Tea Tree Oil" my family has used it in several way's (One way is for bad Sunburns) mixing one or 2 drops from a dropper; into a "Cup" of pure "Aloe Vera" is the best sunburn solution. Tea Tree is an astringent; some say drawing the infection out and killing it at the site.

However, it would be wise to apply it to an un-infected area of the skin; to see if there is any reaction. Just as a pre-caution I alway's do that to make sure if a person or myself might be allergic.

To date I've not found anyone allergic.

I wish you and your wife the best as well, Nigel.

kv

It's manuka honey (from New Zealand) which has the proven medical properties, and that's what the hospital used, it comes pre-soaked in bandages. She was on multiple anti-biotics, both aerobic and anaerobic - but it was only getting worse until they used the honey bandages.

My wife wasn't diabetic before this, despite all the doctors saying "you must have been diabetic for years" - even though their own records (from blood tests about 18 months earlier) proved she wasn't.

She's also got good feeling in her feet, but yet again the doctors repeatedly keep saying "you've got no feeling in your feet".

She's also got good circulation - as proved by MRI and CT scans - but yet again the doctors insist she's got poor blood flow to her feet, despite all the evidence proving otherwise.

Doctors seem 'totally set in their ways', and everything must fit their pre-conceived ideas :D

Personally I think the diabetes was triggered by the foot infection, which then fed the infection, so you get a feedback loop.

I feel bad.

This thread could be lost forever...it started out as a Football 2014 fun Champion thread...
And ended up in suffering. And me joking :(

Probably the most Off Topic thread twist ever.

I moan lot's. Others do not. They simply sit and deal with stuff. In their quite way...I feel humbled. And have learned from this....
Thank God we are not all alike...what a boring existence we would all have if everyone was like me :banghead:

So, Nigel, God Bless you and your precious Wife. I believe all will be OK.

And thank you Nigel for being the person you are....I cannot explain you...but all I see is goodness. And a stable personality as well.

All the best,
tvtech

I feel bad.

This thread could be lost forever...it started out as a Football 2014 fun Champion thread...
And ended up in suffering. And me joking :(

Probably the most Off Topic thread twist ever.

I moan lot's. Others do not. They simply sit and deal with stuff. In their quite way...I feel humbled. And have learned from this....
Thank God we are not all alike...what a boring existence we would all have if everyone was like me :banghead:

So, Nigel, God Bless you and your precious Wife. I believe all will be OK.

And thank you Nigel for being the person you are....I cannot explain you...but all I see is goodness. And a stable personality as well.

All the best,
tvtech

I think once "atferrari's " Team lost it was about pain and suffering; so why not just let it continue until next year?

Now it's over.
They did the necessary better. Good for them!

:arghh:

kv:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back