Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fibre optic leds

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello

i was going to have lots of leds in my circuit to simulate a ring shape, however my friend suggested looking into fibre optic leds , where i just have 1 led and that shines down the fibres by total internal reflection. im not sure whether this would work , because i thought the light would mostly shine out the end of the fibres (like on fibre optic xmas trees), where as i want a glowing ring (like a neon sign).

any idea if such a thing exists?
if yes , where in the uk can i get some?

thanks in advance :D

hmmm...they do sell Led strips, which are similar to what you're looking for. I'm not sure where, but I have come across them.

as for the fiber optic, as you said, most of the light will travel to the end of the fiber rather than shine through the tubes.

In my part of the world many people have pools at their homes. Lots of them have what looks like a thick plastic fiber underneath the coping of the pool that glows and changes color. At the head end, their is a high intensity lamp and a color wheel. So there is definately some type of material/fiber that can do it. On the other hand, all of the fibers i am familiar with direct the light towards the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back