Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

faulty ssr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aromph

I have a project which uses an SSR, the buzzer connected to the output sounds even if there is no trigger voltage on the input. Does this mean that my SSR is defective? I tried to checxk the resistance of the output and it reads around 3.5 Megaohms. Appreciate ytour idea. And also what is the meaning of a zero switching voltage and a random switching voltage in an SSR or electronics in general?

Thanks a lot :(

Not necessarily is the SSR bad. If by no trigger voltage you mean the input to the SSR is open, then it is quite possible it is treating the input as if it were high, and switching the output thru like it is supposed to do. Lots of chips need their unused inputs terminated either high or low to prevent strange things from happening. Try grounding your SSR input and see if it switches off, if so then the open is being treated as a high input.
Dialtone

About that SSR

First of all by saying Zero Switching it means this. When you give it control, it does not switch the output on instantly BUT INSTEAD it waits for the AC on the output (remember the signwave?) to be on the ZERO line to switch on.

And secondly try this on your ssr.

connect a red wire from MAINS voltage to a bulb. a blu wire from the bulb to one of the output terminals, and a green wire from the output terminal back to the mains. (I have specifided colour so you will not get mixed up). THE bulb should NOT SWITCH ON. than give it control and make sure it obeys. if not your ssr is faulty ( I know what im saying been 6 years working for a company making SSRs )

have fun

What is SSR? Just mispeled SCR or something else?

thanks opticon, my mind must be experiencing slowdown :oops:

Thanks Dialtone and Death!

I found out that the buzzer I was using is so sensitive to leakage .
Measured the voltage drop on the buzzer and it's around 19Vac. The buzzer i was using is Sonalert SCP110NP from Mallory. The rating says it's 30Vdc or 120Vac, pulse tone. I've replaced it with a different one. the one that is not sensitive with leakage. The SSR is rated 3 to 32 Vdc input and 120 Vac output, 10 Amps.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back