Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Faulty PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Well I had an interesting fault the other day at work, one of the boards I built had a fault.

It's a display board using a MAX7219, feeding four large 7 segment displays, and 16 individual LED's. The fault was one lot of segments (and obviously two of the 16 LED's) didn't work. So initially, I added a bit of code to the software, to display all the segments - and they all worked?.

So presuming the chip must be duff, I un-soldered it, fitted a socket (I thought it was a good idea :D ), and replaced the chip. Exactly the same?? - have to dig deeper!.

Next I located the pin for the offending segments on one of the 7 segment LED's and used a multimeter on ohms to measure from that pin to each of the others in turn, and I found one that it read short to. I then checked round visually (again) as well as possible, but couldn't find a short anywhere.

So next I dug out my milli-ohm meter D: - something I was going to build, but then I found they are quite cheap from AliExpress so bought one.

So I measured across the offending pins of the LED I'd been measuring on, 0.36 ohms, tried the next one, 0.33 ohms and so on - then I tried directly on the MAX7219 - which read 0.065 ohms - lowest by far.

I next consulted the PCB layout to see where the tracks ran, and knowing the short had to be near the MAX7219 started working along those tracks from the chip using a magnifying head visor - and low and behold, I managed to spot a tiny short between the tracks. A careful cut with a fine scalpel, and all was well.

I knew that milli-ohm meter would come in handy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back