Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fan OK circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
here it is, really:

Attachments

• fan_signal_switch.jpg
    fan_signal_switch.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 131
Okay now that I can post I thought I'd post one of the latest(ish) revisions of the circuit for anybody interested.

There's few bugs but they are being worked on. ;o

Attachments

• Fan And Heater.jpg
    Fan And Heater.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 145
Its been sometime but i had to put this all on hold. Anyway I have been working to get this fan monitor and mosfet driver working. Here is what I have now, I prototyped and it worked but was not driving the mosfet properly. So here is what I did to fix that.

Is the way the MOSFET being driven ok? it works in simulation but I dont have the components to prototype at the moment. Please see attached schematic. Any ideas to reduce overall power consumption are welcome!

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 123
I don't use MOSFETs a lot so I could be wrong but it looks alright to be. Just make sure that you use a TTL MOSFET. (Triggered from 5V instead of the normal ~10V.)

Hay! That was my concern, im not sure the current output of the AND is sufficient to drive the mosfet, altough in simulation it seems to be. I will soon find out when my supplies arrive...

I just came across the term TTL mosfets, not seen or heard of them before, are they able to switch say 3A?
I also thought of putting a transistor in C - 12v switched E - mosfet gate and B AND output, it then got me thinking, i tried to drive the transistor from the fan signal an ddo away with the AND gate, but it wont work in simulation

I have changed a few things to reduce component count. I removed the AND gate and replaced with a transistor as I was worried it would not cope with the current for the mosfet. Attached is my current schematic.

Would appreciate any comments, if I can reduce curent consumption any further that would be good. And of course any reasons why this would not work in real life.

Thank in advance!

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
A MOSFET is voltage triggered, therefore it doesn't really require any current to operate.

Another thing is that I think MOSFETs require their input to be pulled both high and low. Using a transistor you can only pull the gate high, therefore it will never switch off. I honestly think you're better off with the AND gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back