Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EPROM Eraser

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaN

Does anyone here know how to build a (hopefully) cost effect alternate to the EPROM Erasers that can be purchased from vendors like DigiKey?

They want 100+ $$ for a light-bulb in a box! And approximately 60$ more than i think is fair.

So im wondering if anyone has tips/or experience(s) with home made alternates and/or success stories?

Thanks

NaN

Doesn't DigiKey sell the 'Datarase'?
It's about $40. I bought one years ago that still works.
The light bulb is much more powerful than your average bulb.
If you have a germicidal or HID light you could use that.
Be sure to protect your eyes.

Not that i found online anyways...

This is the only article i found under U/V eraser:

**broken link removed**

:NaN:

I built my own UV eraser using 11W Philips Germicidal UV lamp. But I did not use it for long, since FLASH based microcontrollers and memories were found to be much cheaper and easy to use i.e. read/write/erase than EPROMs.

It appears an era is ending.
EPROMs were so impressively engineered.
One could see the fine gold wires and wafer through the quartz window.
I'm getting all misty.
Oh well, they they were a nuisance to erase and would get stuck bits.

I agree. I would prefer EEPROM if i could get the chip i want this way. But the best prototyping chip pic offers for its USB PIC series (16C7XX) is the EPROM u/v eraseable. While i have a suitable EEPROM programmer, i dont have the budget to throw out 30 chips unitill i get it right with their OTP's (windowless EPROM) (( :roll: ))

Ah well thanks for the suggestions!

Whay don't you try their Flash/EEPROM Versions i.e. 16Fxx, 18Fxx ,17Fxx etc. They use Flash ROMs which are electrically erasable and reprogrammable upto 1000 - 10,000 times.

I noticed a bunch of EPROM erasers on Ebay,
of course with all the risks of buying there.
But these guys are a known retailer:
**broken link removed**
$45 [ three left ]

Thanks for the E-Bay tip. I will look into it and weigh my odds.

As for EEPROM (flash), yes, i would love to go this route, but Microchip doesnt make a USB PIC chip (16C745/16C765) with flash (why is beyond me!).

Life would be so much simpler with a 18F745.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back