Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unique in-circuit test socket for eproms & micro's

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 13 years ago while in an alarm industry distributors store they had an "alarm panel reset kit" for panels where the "programmers lockout" was activated.
It used what i can only describe as up-side-down ic sockets to fit over the ic and connect to testing device.

I could not at the time find out a name or anything else about the sockets.

Has anyone heard of such a beast?

Last edited:
nope, looks like a 40-DIP ic socket, except upside down.
Pushes on overtop of IC while in circuit.
Piggy-back if you will.

This picture is a 8 pin version but somewhere I have a 40 pin version. Is this it?
1591459235723.png

Nope.
Looks like an upside down IC socket.
No squeeze spring, just center and push on.
Although it had long finger contacts like the above squeeze clip, long enough to slide over the chip's pins.

Is it for a DIP (Dual Inline Plastic) package with pins 0.1" apart?

You didn't answer alec_t's question and all the suggestions are clips for SOP (Small Outline Plastic) packages with pins that are 0.05 " apart.

This sort of thing? What format IC (DIP, SOIC, other)?

I have seen it as DIP and I am looking for that application.
It does not use a "cloths-pin" spring-load to keep it in place.
It, at the time would fit over (lets say) standard 27C128 eprom.
600mil (shoulder-shoulder).
pitch 100mil.
Was available at the time as 28 and 40-pin.
The socket is pressed down onto an IC, it has a circuit board soldered on top with a connector that via a cable goes to a "programmer" device.

Actually, THIS:

1591527194497.png

1591527850321.png

(product discontinued, these links will die soon...)

I don't think they had them made for this kit, that they were production.
Some guy found them in a catalog, and turned it into a product, and sold it to Linear (Nortek, IEI, etc).

The wayback machine suggests 2007, the products site was active.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I have never seen anything like that before.

JimB

There are these:- https://uk.farnell.com/mcm/22-665/28-pin-ic-test-clip/dp/2784670 for 28 pin ICs with 0.1" pitch and 0.6" row spacing.

A lot of the Farnell test clips appear to have been discontinued. DIP ICs are getting rare, so it's no surprise.

If I needed to make a test clip for DIP40, I would probably just solder 40 of these:-
https://uk.farnell.com/mill-max/0906-0-15-20-76-14-11-0/spring-loaded-contact-pin-5-24mm/dp/2668369
into some fibreglass vero board.

To make the assembly stiffer, you could take another bit of the vero board, and drill 1.6mm holes in it, where the pins are, and push that down onto the bodies of the pins.

I've seen them many many years ago. I suspect they've been out of production for a very long time. The clip-on type as shown in ronsimpson's photos are what is used now.

What I was commenting on in my last post is the type of socket shown in Click-Here's photo in post #8.

I have several of the Digikey open frame sockets. That's the kind I usually buy, but they don't have enough depth along the centre. It prevents them from making any electrical contact with the DIP when used upside down.

What the Op wants is made by the alarm distributor
You press it over the chip and it clears the password
Good luck finding one for a old alarm

I am not looking for the product shown, although open to information shared.
But really, "the unlocker" is not my focus.

I just see potential in the socket as many boards do not allow easy access to the chip due to board part density.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back