• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

energy saving

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Hi All,
Can anyone help ??
I want to run a 220 VAC energy saver lamp from 12 VDC ,
can I rewire the exisiting lamp circuit or can I make a new circuit board to fit the present holder.I'am also looking for a simple circuit to light a 40 Watt flouresent light from 12 VDC.The circuits I find on the net all require a special transformer , which I am having problems with.


Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
You need a special transformer...that's what the circuit board uses to step up 12VDC to 220VAC required by the bulb. Rewiring won't really do anything either since it's the physics of the lightbulb dictates how the entire lamp must work.

What problem are you having with the transformer?

Or you could buy a 12VDC-to-220VAC inverter, like those found to let you run appliances from a car. THere are big fancy ones, or small hobby ones:
Last edited:
Not open for further replies.

EE World Online Articles