Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EMP device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Music Man

I'm new here, but I did search first! My quest is to find a means to protect my ears and health from some who think they should punish me with their idiotic thump-thump noise-making electronics, (they have the ignorant audacity to think it has something to do with music), which double as an incitement to violence.

This is so powerful, pervasive and invasive, it is often intruding into my home, windows closed while those of arrested development might be blocks away. Heaven forbid I should actually want to listen to my radio in my A/C'd car with windows tightly closed.

It was once a point of responsible behavior that someone's right to swing his fist stops short of anothers nose. Now the attitude is, "I'm in yo face ************, I don't care what u think, shut the **** UP or get CUT UP", or worse.

I wonder if anyone here has actually moved to prototype on an electromagnetic pulse generator.

I have seen some plans, from amateurish hand-drawn musings to serious spec sheets with component pricing that is way out there, more than I could afford.

I feel it is perfectly within the realm of rational response to touch a switch that will mute these abusive thumpers.

Comments?

you would not be within the "realm of rational response" to destroy all electronic equipment belonging to other ppl (that is criminal damage)

the EMP would take out all yr equipment, yr targets and depending on the radius lots-o-other things

BUT if you are interested in making one, the only feasable method is with some explosives, a big coil of copper pipe (no insulation and coils not touching) another copper pipe whose walls are not too thick BUT the diameter of the entire pipe is smaller then the copper-coil diameter, a load of capacitors and a load of batterys and some bloody good timing (from a PIC)

caps in //el with batterys (battery's series parallel to get amp and voltage up) then a switch closes the cct with the copper-coil acting as an inductive-load. at some point the explosives that have been packed into the straight larger copper-pipe (which eqaully sits in the centre of the coil) is cascaded detonated.

The exlosives (if the right sort) should then cause the inner copper-pipe to swell, thus shorting out turn after turn after turn on the copper-coil. This in turn reduces the inductance at an allarming rate and produces an EM-pulse.

The brits have had this type of tech for years, but it is only recently that the US have developed a more re-usable type of EMP generator

Nigel Goodwin said:
Have we? - must have missed it :)
Yup, Loughbough Uni is the UK main (publicly acknowledged) place of research into weaponised EMP-devices.
The methods used to create the EMP (be it explosive or re-use based) are not as good as an EMP from a nuclear explosion (which have an extreamly wide freq range as well as extreamly high signal power) but still good enough to take out electronic equip

Styx said:
Yup, Loughbough Uni is the UK main (publicly acknowledged) place of research into weaponised EMP-devices.
The methods used to create the EMP (be it explosive or re-use based) are not as good as an EMP from a nuclear explosion (which have an extreamly wide freq range as well as extreamly high signal power) but still good enough to take out electronic equip

Even more interesting, Loughbough is about 28 miles away (as the crow flys) from where I live!.

Styx said:
you would not be within the "realm of rational response" to destroy all electronic equipment belonging to other ppl (that is criminal damage)

Of course you are right. I hope no one thought I really believed I had a right to destroy all that non-musical LF sound gear.

There remains an interesting discussion. Since it is successfully argued that if someone is trying to take your life, you may legally destroy that person, then might there be a lower level corollary; if someone is trying to destroy my quality of life, then should I not have some self defense from the abuse?

It is, from my warped sense of humor, fun to think of it going up in smoke, but fuses would quiet the abusive SPL's long enough to get my gas and go. That would be a "mute" of sorts!;)

I was thinking of injecting enough wideband noise into the front end of all the amplifier gain stages, that it would try to reproduce the 185dB shriek. Fuses do not like this.

Ah, dreams...

you will have more luck causing utility harmonic injetion to mess with his stereo.

ppl with cheap HiFi's tend to turn them up really load (ppl with good expensive ones are after the clarity).

So chuck enough distorted current to/from the utility it will couple through the cheap mains transformer and rail generators and pollute the quality of the sound.

since he is yr nabour the PCC is a point of very low inductance so he will suffer - others will as well, but would be an issue if they were using equip that was rail-sensitive as well.

but then again you would need to draw a bit of power (via a thyristor-chopper for best distortion) and if done too often you would attract the attention of yr power provider who would "snif" the local sub-station and then track down what feed the distortion was coming from

that or for a couple of months setup a mic and record the level with a good reference noise and supply to the local council (with a log book) abt noise pollution, you would then get some visitors to monitor for a day or two then well a summons

Music Man said:
if someone is trying to destroy my quality of life, then should I not have some self defense from the abuse?

I suggest you take recourse to the law, which is there to protect everyone (hopefully) - or have you even tried asking for it to be turned down?.

EMP schemes are likely to be complicated, EXPENSIVE, HIGHLY ILLEGAL, and cause far more damage, and destroy far more peoples 'quality of life' than an idiot with a car stereo.

If you feel so strongly?, I suggest a hammer, smash through his windows and destroy his speaker cones!.

Styx,

Fortunately I have no neighbors with such bad manners.

This is a largely vehicular problem over here. You would be astounded at what rolls on the streets!

In any case, thanks for your responses.

Music Man said:
Styx,

Fortunately I have no neighbors with such bad manners.

This is a largely vehicular problem over here. You would be astounded at what rolls on the streets!

In any case, thanks for your responses.

Ahh soz forgot it was a "drive-by" and not a house-system

I expected it would have to have been a car system, its usually only those that have the bass 100 times louder than the rest. It does make your situation more difficult though as a complaint to the council won't be too relevant. It might be the same people every time though, so i'm sure there is a legal course of action available.

Nice site Dr.EM,

When I can find some time, I look fwd to discussing with folks like you about bit rate, and music quality.

(Highjacking my own thread here). A new one will be coming from this:

As a starting query, have you ever listened on a truly high resolution system to SACD, CD, and various rate MP3's from same master or a live session? It's truly amazing what the young, with such good hearing, will listen to. And never consider the technical quality. In fact some pop songs have intentional, (I guess!), mic amp and preamp clipping...

Go figure.

I think I'm going to like this forum. Techies just think differently.:eek:

Last edited:
This whole copper coil/explosive thing sounds complicated- why not just build a nuke to make the EM pulse? That'll show the guy with the loud stereo.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I suggest you take recourse to the law, which is there to protect everyone (hopefully) - or have you even tried asking for it to be turned down?.
1. The law for some resson won't enforce it enough to have any impact, even where they have enacted "distubing the peace" and "public nuisance" laws.
2. One doesn't dare to ask, for fear of violent reprisal. There seems to be a conscious effort to affront, and provoke a response from "the rest of us".
EMP schemes are likely to be complicated, EXPENSIVE, HIGHLY ILLEGAL, and cause far more damage, and destroy far more peoples 'quality of life' than an idiot with a car stereo.
Well, this really wasn't a discussion to take real world action, without regard for innocents.
If you feel so strongly?, I suggest a hammer, smash through his windows and destroy his speaker cones!
"Breaking and entering; and breaking some more", ouch. No, as thearaputic as that might be. :D

I think we have some good food for thought here. No sense flogging the poor horse to death.:eek:

Music Man said:
2. One doesn't dare to ask, for fear of violent reprisal. There seems to be a conscious effort to affront, and provoke a response from "the rest of us".

So, plan B is to develop a high tech destructive device to nuke their stereo, their vehicle's computer, everyone's home computers, TV, stereo, phones, laptops, etc within an indeterminate distance, including your own??

I thought The Matrix was bad for inspiring high school kids to want to dress in black, carry guns, and believe they are to become an all-powerful Messiah of humanity. I can see I was underestimating the problem. Now passive-aggressive geeks all want to build EMP devices.

The reality is simpler however. I don't believe there is any practical (or impractical) way for an amateur to build an EMP device powerful enough. For that I am thankful.

I'd just make a mic, pre-amp, feed it to a subwoofer, and click the phase switch on the woofer - Noise cancelling !

Making an EMP generator isn't really that difficult, but think of all your innocent neighbours that would be affected, not to mention your wiring... Not such a cool idea....

They are probably not listening to FM radio, in the old days (heh-heh) when parties were loud in my neighborhood, I would find the station they were on and just become the station (via FM transmitter) with no audio. They would change to another station, I would move to that freq., then they put in a cassette (I did mention the old days right). And yes I had a mic on it and sometimes asked them to lower the volume.

Today, most have CD and MP3 players. Maybe jam their IF in the unit, it will take out the other people around you too but not break anything.

The cancelling idea mentioned before is good, put a low pass filter on it and send it back to them.

blasto said:
I'd just make a mic, pre-amp, feed it to a subwoofer, and click the phase switch on the woofer - Noise cancelling !

I helped a friend build something similar but instead of cancelling (which I don't think would work), it added a couple hundred mS delay and amplified it (via his stereo amp). Since the the noisy neighbor had a common wall it was easy to "inject" the noise via an old speaker attached to a stud in the common wall. very effective as it made the neighbors music sound like sh*t and when he turned it turned it up, it sounded even worse. I was there when we turned it on for the first time and we were ROFL as the guy kept turning it up, then down, switching CDs, etc trying to figure out what was going on. He finally figured out that it seemed to work ok, when it was lower.

Dear Friends,

I know that this thread might sound bad at first look but I am sure the response has been helpful for Music Man.

I am facing a similar issue and the agony that the circumstance is inflicting on my old mother is killing me.

The next door neighbor has started a full time business of stitching and sewing and got two heavy duty electronic machines to do so, he steals the electricity from the grid and when the complain was lodged with the authorities he bribed them up. He confidence has grown many folds and due to lack of law and order in India for such petty crimes. He is making our life hell.

The machines vibrate the concrete flooring on the first floor and its like a mini earthquake and thunder every few seconds. This has resulted in my mom starting to get palpitation. I am very worried about the situation. I am a law abiding citizen but that has not resulted with any good.

Can anyone please help me with the situation.

The neighbor electrical circuit is in adjacent wall (4.5 inchs thick) and he runs 4 Window ACs with 2.5 tonne capacity and also runs 2 electronic sewing machines.

Please help this is SOS.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back