Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Email addresses insecure on your site

Has you recently received emails regarding a supposed Bank of America account?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeb

Someone has scraped, stolen, or otherwise compromised the privacy of my email address from your site.

My account uses an email alias specific to your site, so I know the problem originated with your site. My email alias for your site has received two phishing emails pretending to be Bank of America.

Verify your forum has not been exploited due to some security problem, or outdated forum software.

Or, please indicate whether electro-tech-online has sold off the email addresses of its users to a third party.

Regards,
--Mike

Hi Mike,

We definitely do not sell email addresses! We are running the very latest software and always have.

Please note that a more common way of an email being harvested is via outdated computer software exploitable browser, os or any other form of software. They read the registry settings.

Regards,
EM

mikeb considering you're the only person that's stated this you're just guessing that security has been compromised. As electromaster said it's far more likely you or your mail provider itself was compromised. This site is popular but I'd hardly call it a likely target for e-mail harvesting.

It could also depending on the simplicity of the name be a simple dictionary@domain type spam.

Last edited:
The security of this for is very good and there have been no compromises.

Just because you receive an email that is uniquely used via electro tech does not mean that this site is at fault. As Sceadwian states it is more likely a trojan on your own computer that has harvested email addresses from your operating system registry (where outlook stores such information).

I'm closing this thread because the poll is worded badly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back