Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Elevator floor dial simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dexhibits

Guys I have a project that I am working on and it seems a little complex for me to figure out.

The general principal is simple. I have to build an elevator for a trade show and have the a dial move from 7 to 1 light up a red light and ding. I would like this controlled by a simple toggle switch, slip it up it goes to seven. Flip it down and it goes to one and ding and lights up. this can all be done with relays or what not. There are a few problems with this. One, I can only find diagrams that give me a forward, stop, reverse control using relays.see **broken link removed** The light is easy using a momentary switch that would activate the light when the needle hits at the 1 position. The ding of an elevator is a little tricky. Does any one know of a sound clip that sound like an elevator for this application.
Back to the motor I need to figure out how to do stop positions at the one and seven but still be able to flip the switch and have it go the other way

The frame that this is all going into is a half circle like an elevator of the sixties. We also have a budget so if some one would like to make this I would be more that happy to pay them. As far as the speed of the unit I would like some sort of speed control on this unit.

Thank you in advance for racking your brains on this one

I have a project deadline of 1-15-07 but the sooner the better

I don't fully understand what you want.

Do you only have to make a needle move from 1 to 7? I assume that you don't have to build the elevator also.

Does the needle have to also be able to stop at the intermediate points, ie. 2, 3, etc.?

A simple way to make the bell chime would be to use a bell gong struck by a hammer attached to a relay armature. See this post by oliverb, https://www.electro-tech-online.com...led-displays-hourly-ch.18901/?highlight=chime and look for his post dated 20 Jan 2006 which has the photo attached.

Also, as I understand it, you want a toggle switch to make the needle move.

Do you switch it one way to make it go up and the other way to make it go down?

Do you intend to have microswitches to stop the motor when it reaches 7 and 1?

Are you happy for it to be done with relays?

Last edited:
I am sorry about the confusion

I have the elevator covered using a automatic patio door actuators from smart home and it is controlled by a separate unit them this

All I need to still accomplish is the old school elevator floor dial

• the dial will go from 1 to 7 with out any stops, but will have to hod its position at the 1 and 7 position
  • the motor will have to have adjustable speed or let me know were to get a few different gear boxes
  • it will need a toggle switch in one way to make it go up (floor 7), and the other way to make it go down (floor 1)
  • it can use relays or micro switches
The end result has to be one component or multiple components put together in one housing.

The operator will flip the toggle switch down and the needle will move from 7 to 1 (with out stopping) once the needle hits floor 1 a red light will come on (whether it’s a micro switch or control board) and a bell will ding

At this point the needle will remain on the 1 until the operator flips the toggle switch in the up position and the needle goes up to floor 7 and the presentation is over

Just to clarify nothing needs to happen at floor seven except have the needle remain at floor 7 until the toggle switch is flipped again

In my previous post I was going to use a diagram that I found

I was going to make the stop relay switch at both ends of the dial using arcade switches that have the long pin as an actuator. So that as the dial move to the seven it will depress the switch intern stopping the dial

Then have the forward and reverse on the toggle switch

The only problem I have is how do I get it do work if the stop switch is always depressed by the needle at the 1 and 7 positions

Couple of thoughts come to mind...

On the cheap side, a small geared motor that moves the indicator arrow by means of a slip clutch. This seems to be pretty common in toy drivetrains. A switch (either cam on indicator shaft, optical or similar) sets the stop points. The indicator also has mechanical stops, and the slip clutch means the motor can continue to turn while the switching logic is taking place. Actually, if you build it so you can't see the motor shaft, you don't even have to stop the motor; just switch directions back and forth.

On the quick side, a cheap Radio Control (or wired) servo moves the indicator. You can probably determine what resistance the controller pots use for your required positions and hardwire that into a switched assembly. Perhaps a resistor-capacitor time delay in that circuit to smooth accelleration if needed.

There should be some easy way to mechanically ring the bell either by relay or solenoid. It seems a little silly to have everything else electromechanical and then use some cheap sound module for the bell. Plus, the authentic sound would add to the overall display. A simple doorbell should cover this.

3dexhibits said:
The only problem I have is how do I get it do work if the stop switch is always depressed by the needle at the 1 and 7 positions
I think you could use the same wiring logic as in 3 way house lighting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back