Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

I know there must be a thread around somewhere discussing the available cad programs, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm curious what you all use to draw up your schematics, and how much it cost.

I've tried several free ones, and while they are pretty good, they still leave much to be desired. Obviously I haven't found the best free one yet.

Any links to that thread or comments would be appreciated.

I use UltiCap/UltiRoute/UltiBoard, but I haven't renewed my maintenance subscription since EWB bought over Ultimate Technology

Well, I use Orcad for work. It's got a really good schematic drawing program, but the simulations are not accuate and the PCB layout really sucks. The cost is $10k. So I'm guessing that's not what you rlooking for. Other I have used are

Circuit CAD..pretty good no complaints
MultiSim.. good but one of more pricy one
Pcad..very hard to learn
PADs..don't bother also had to use
The one I recomend and it's lower cost then the rest is Proteus VSM
http://www.labcenter.co.uk/index_uk.htm, it's got microcontroller simulation also. up load you code to the simulator and watch the code run. Pretty cool. I met these guys at a microchip conferance.

hope this helped

MultiSim.. good but one of more pricy one

I think that is what i use. IT IS AWESOME, AND ACURATE! It is very pricey, though. If this isn't the one i am thinking about, then, oops! :embarrassed:

I used Proteus a few years ago...it had a nice inline disassembler in it...
I initially started out using OrCad...what a pain in the tonsils it was...like you said...great schematic capture...but I hated it for pcb work...

So far the best free schematic drawing program I have used is TinyCad. It comes with full source in C, if I could only tolerate programming in C I would fix the things I dislike.

never heard of it...
I like the Ultimate stuff...it's perhaps a little rough round the edges here and there...but I have gotten so used to it now, that unless there is some really compelling reason, I don't think I'll be changing it...
but never say never huh ? :)

no one from the eagle crowd yet?

I use eagle for both schematic capture and PCB layout. while the interface is quite different from windows, it's pretty powerful. and free...

what ever you get, I recommend you go with a package that does both schematics and PCBs if you think you might ever get a board made.

Are you looking for simulation as well?

Circuitmaker 2000 has nice features. I don't think it's sold or supported anymore but it works for me. I haven't gotten around to making a PCB with it but from the little amount I've played around with it, it seems nice. I like it for schematics/diagrams. I have one called "The Constructor" but it's mainly for ladder diagrams as that's what I mainly need to create for the control panels I build.

Now that company offers one called "Altium Designer" but I haven't ever tried it and don't know how much they are trying to get for it.

Eagle Cad... Got your back Philba.. Sorry, wife had me working around the house so I was not online..

Eagle is simple to use schematic wise. I have no clue on PCB layout and I capture schematics in no time and do small PCBs (and not manual route them too).

My grandfather, a retired PCB man for an electronics company in Florida will tell you ORCAD was his favorite. The other day, he asked if he should upgrade his Eagle Cad for Christmas to do more layers and a little more board size. So I think he is using that now.

So ORCAD if you have the $$$ and doing it for a living or Eagle Cad for fun.. We looked at a lot of them. We met in the middle with Eagle Cad. I am sure he would rather use ORCAD.

In the past, I used New Wave Concept's Livewire for design/simulation and the same company's PCB Wizard for pcb layout. Both seem to be geared more to students and hobbyists and are relatively cheap compared to other packages that I have seen available.

I currently use Abacom's from the same company to design stripboard or breadboard layouts. I prefer breadboarding to running simulations. All of Abacom's programs are very reasonably priced.

Two free programs that I have used and are nice would be TinyCad for schematic design and **broken link removed** for schematic design and pcb layout.

I also own **broken link removed**, but rarely use it anymore. I can accomplish the same things (minus simulation) much faster using the programs from Abacom.

I have recently been trying out the free version of Novarm's DipTrace and it seems pretty nice. It is pretty easy to use compared to a number of other "professional quality" schematic capture/pcb design suites that I have used in the past. It feels similar to using the Abacom programs. From the site, these are its limitations - "Freeware edition does not support export to DXF, Gerber and N/C Drill, maximum number of pins — 250." It has not earned my commitment just yet...

Last edited:
Im for Eagle too. I use it for both PCBs and circuits. Before that I used multisim and something called "target 3001". Target 3001 is good if you want to do a 3d Rendering of your circuit, but the 100 Pin limit just sucked.

I still use multisim, mostly if I want to see how a circuit will act, then breadboard it, then do the final version.

For my two cents worth (which is less than I paid for the software)
Eagle is perfect for anyone getting started and the pay version is acceptable for mid to advanced users doing larger boards.
Ltspice is the best for a simple graphical spice simulator. Not the fastest out there but free and full featured. Between the two you can come up with basic hardware designs to prototypes in relativly short time, and on a hobbyist schedual.

[use ultiboard ver 5.1 have tried to import DXF file into ulticap but it will not convert can you please explain the procedure or tell me where to get a manual thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone used the schematic drawing tool (CircuitMaker 2000) to export wmf files?
I have used circuitmaker 2000 for years to layout boards and panelize them, but when I used the schematic drawing feature, I can't export of save work as wmf. I has a wmf saving option, but it won't deliver. I Even used it on two W98 computers trying this.

Last edited:
LTspice and Tina can both export WMF files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back