Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic switch with Optocoupler and IRF350 Mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

romel_emperado

hi,,how do i connect properly the optocoupler with IRF350 mosfets that would control an 8Amps, 220v Ac Motor??
my problem is i dont know how to properly connect the optocoupler to the gate of the IRF350 mosfet..

pls post any schematics that would help me...

thanks n advance...

Is the circuit just a replacement for an AC relay, or are you trying to vary the speed of the motor by chopping the AC waveform? The answer has to do with how fast, and how often the mosfet is turned on/off?

Are you aware that there are commercial products called SSR (solid-state-relay) that are specifically made for this task?

Last edited:
yes this is just a replacement of ac relay..
the only function of this circuit is only to turn on and of the motor..
how often?? the answer is hours or even days...

i need some schematic to completely connect the optocoupler with the gate of the mosfet..tnx

i got here a diagram but i doubted a 15v with 1k resistor is conneted to the output of optocoupler.. is this ok to connect 15v to the output??

Attachments

• ISO-8859-1__opto+gate.doc
    33 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
A MOSFET is not normally used for this function. Is this a requirement?

Look at Solid State Relays. Here's a link: Digi-Key Part Search. Look for D2425-10. Note I'm suggesting a 25A 240V relay for a good safety margin.

Last edited:
A MOSFET is not normally used for this function. Is this a requirement?

Look at Solid State Relays. Here's a link: Digi-Key Part Search. Look for D2425-10. Note I'm suggesting a 25A 240V relay for a good safety margin.

yes, this is a requirment. the instruction that i got is i am going to use a optocoupler then a mosfet for a Ac motor with 8amps current rating...
is this possible??

yes, this is a requirment. the instruction that i got is i am going to use a optocoupler then a mosfet for a Ac motor with 8amps current rating...
is this possible??

It is a hell of a lot of work, and possible failed attempts, to avoid buying a $40 ready-made solution. SSRs are a proven technology. You will spend days trying to make one that works as well as a readily available SSR.

SSRs are a proven technology. You will spend days trying to make one that works as well as a readily available SSR.

I second that. The SSR gives you so much, full isolation from the line with approvals, and operated with less than 20 mA.

Inside an ssr is the optocoupler, the triac (not mosfet) and its firing circuit. If an 'ssr' had no choice but use a mosfet, it would have a bridge rectifier included.

Last edited:
do u mean i need to have a bridge type rectifier connected in the mosfet to make it DC so that the mosfet woks??

does an AC Motor works with
DC??

A single MOSFET will not work as there is a body diode that will conduct on reverse cycle. It is possible with to series P-Ch, N-Ch MOSFET's but drive circuitry is complicated.

Stick with Triac's with opto-isolator diac trigger.

If the motor has brushes (like power drill) it will run on DC.

i think motors used in the industrial conveyor is a brush type motor so i may be run it using DC...

this is a requirement for me to use mosfet but if i would decide for my own i would stick to TRiacs and relays..

If you are really hung up on using a FET to control AC, here is one way to do it:
acfet-png.31718

Note that you'll have to use an isolated gate drive circuit such as a small transformer to supply the gate voltage.
As mentioned, a TRIAC and a TRIAC OPTO are the proper devices to use for this purpose.

Attachments

• ACFet.png
    ACFet.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 8,973
thnks kchriste i already have the optocoupling circuit. your schematic is a great help to me.. i would try this one..thanks...
the only thing that i would try to check out is what type of motor that i am using...

thnks kchriste i already have the optocoupling circuit. your schematic is a great help to me.. i would try this one..thanks...
the only thing that i would try to check out is what type of motor that i am using...

If the obsolete IRF350 MOSFETs are cheap, (they should be), you can reduce losses to almost nothing by eliminating the diode bridge and connecting two MOSFETs in series, source to source and gate to gate. Use the two drains as your switch terminals.

Drive the gate as you would normally, with the sources as common.

Last edited:
220Vac...

Im trying to use mosfet as switching device in ac just like the triac and relays does.

Just thought I ought to ask just in case it was DC supply you had. Because if you did that would change almost everything that's been said here!

i posted an atachement. pls. evaluate this circuit if you think this would possibly work before i may buy this components..just to be sure a little.

Attachments

• 6n137vo2.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 839
  • tr.PNG
    tr.PNG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited:
Your 5V, 15V and Ground to the right of the 6N137 must be isolated from the logic circuit and Earth and people, etc.

how about this one?? which is much better of my two circuits??
never mind the two 2n series transistors 'coz that is not final just see if that design would trigger the mosfet..

Attachments

• FET DRIVER.gif
    FET DRIVER.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 30,562
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back