Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan76

Its getting close to graduation day for me. I have about 6 months to go and like most I am having troubles figuring out what to do next so I figured why not ask some of you vetrans about your stories. First off Im not a spring chicken but I have been around long enough to have an idea of how the world spins :D
I am 30yrs of age and spent 6 1/2 of those years in the US Army. I went to tech school to use my GI BIll and get a degree. I knew I wanted to do electronics from the start. I like to make things and see how they work. The problem Im faced with now is to balance what I want to do with what I need to do in order to support the family 1 wife 2 kids. First off I would like to get one question out of the way (1) Is it true that engineers are less likely to have job security than a technician? I ask this due to an instructor of mine telling me that engineers are usually out the door after so many years due to changing technology versus techs only need to know the basics of analog and digital :eek: . (2)How did you choose your carreer? This is the part that kills me the most. Every day I find something else that intrests the hell out of me. The other day I was making my first digital probe and then got side tracked when I started to read on making your own PCb's thus again I got side tracked when I came across an article on stepper motors and so on an so on. One of my biggest problems is deciding which area I like the most. (3) What career or job have you found to be the most satisfying and or fun? (4) This question isnt as important but in your opinion where is the most money to be found in electronics?

Last edited:
Bryan76 said:
Its getting close to graduation day for me. I have about 6 months to go and like most I am having troubles figuring out what to do next so I figured why not ask some of you vetrans about your stories. First off Im not a spring chicken but I have been around long enough to have an idea of how the world spins :D
I am 30yrs of age and spent 6 1/2 of those years in the US Army. I went to tech school to use my GI BIll and get a degree. I knew I wanted to do electronics from the start. I like to make things and see how they work. The problem Im faced with now is to balance what I want to do with what I need to do in order to support the family 1 wife 2 kids. First off I would like to get one question out of the way (1) Is it true that engineers are less likely to have job security than a technician? I ask this due to an instructor of mine telling me that engineers are usually out the door after so many years due to changing technology versus techs only need to know the basics of analog and digital :eek: . (2)How did you choose your carreer? This is the part that kills me the most. Every day I find something else that intrests the hell out of me. The other day I was making my first digital probe and then got side tracked when I started to read on making your own PCb's thus again I got side tracked when I came across an article on stepper motors and so on an so on. One of my biggest problems is deciding which area I like the most. (3) What career or job have you found to be the most satisfying and or fun? (4) This question isnt as important but in your opinion where is the most money to be found in electronics?

(1) I believe generally untrue. Depends heavily on the company you work for. Besides, an engineering degree will always give you alot of potential in any tech field.

(2) I interned and researched (while in school) what kinds of jobs there are and all the gory details.

(3) Product development. Every project has unique challenges and I have found it not only fun but also full of learning opportunities. This also helps an engineer keep up to date with latest technology and thus remain valuable.

(4) VLSI design / high end consulting.

Optikon said:
(1) I believe generally untrue. Depends heavily on the company you work for. Besides, an engineering degree will always give you alot of potential in any tech field.

(2) I interned and researched (while in school) what kinds of jobs there are and all the gory details.

(3) Product development. Every project has unique challenges and I have found it not only fun but also full of learning opportunities. This also helps an engineer keep up to date with latest technology and thus remain valuable.

(4) VLSI design / high end consulting.

Regarding your answer to (1), I asked asked about that. Being that engineers would have the knowledge to be a technician. His responce was that a company would let the engineer go instead of hiring him as a tech due to he would require the same pay.

engineers are usually out the door after so many years due to changing technology

That is a load of BS. Maybe poor engineers. A good engineer keeps up with technology and that argument is irrelevant. There is always room for a good engineer somewhere.

I would guess that your professor is biased in some way towards technicians. Either he is one, was one, or got the shaft because he was a poor engineer. Not judging your professor, as I know nothing about him (or her), but several professors are just plain lousy engineers that decided they should teach because they can't do anything else. I've had several of them.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's an often quoted saying, and I've not yet found reason to disagree with it - "those who can do, those who can't teach".

:eek: :D lol

That quote did come to mind.

Fred.Amoson said:
That is a load of BS. Maybe poor engineers. A good engineer keeps up with technology and that argument is irrelevant. There is always room for a good engineer somewhere.

I would guess that your professor is biased in some way towards technicians. Either he is one, was one, or got the shaft because he was a poor engineer. Not judging your professor, as I know nothing about him (or her), but several professors are just plain lousy engineers that decided they should teach because they can't do anything else. I've had several of them.

He worked for Mortorla as a tech and then supervisor he later retired.

Bryan76 said:
He worked for Mortorla as a tech and then supervisor he later retired.
This varies from company to company and changes over time.

It may well have been true at Motorla. It was not (past tense) true where I used to work. Turnover was very low in the lab. Most of the people there had more then 10 year of experience .

Last edited:
Answers 1-4

If I got this right you are about to graduate from tech school which would make you a technician? Are you thinking of getting a BS or MS in EE?

Bryan76 said:
(1) Is it true that engineers are less likely to have job security than a technician?
This was not my experience. When times were tough we lost our techs.
(2)How did you choose your carreer?.
Months before I intended to look for a job a prof let me know a company who employed several graduates from our campus was hiring. The on campus interview went well. A phone interview and a plant trip led to a job offer.

(3) What career or job have you found to be the most satisfying and or fun?
Writting firmware.

(4) This question isnt as important but in your opinion where is the most money to be found in electronics?[/quote]
That is a moving target. I do not have a clue what it is now. Mostly you need to stay current and think on your feet. I would think that people that can do VHDL and such would be at the top of the list.

At out plant most of the tech jobs were on the bland side. I did know one tech who designed test hardware and software for the production line.

The role played and worked performed by techs Vs engineers is quite different in most cases and it kind of depends on ones specific talents and interest as to which a person might best be suited for. I found field service to be a very steady and satisfying field.

Engineers in general should earn a better salary then a tech but there are always exceptions to the rule. I choose the tech path after the Air force because I really enjoy troubleshooting and always had good instincts and skills in that area. If I had wanted more to get into design then of course an engineering path would have been a better path. Most engineering functions work as part of a team on projects where field service is generally a lone ranger type of job.

Lefty

1) In my experience this is not true. The employees with key and strategic skills and knowledge have the best job security and these are usually those with the highest level of training and experience in engineering problem solving, usually engineers.
2) Don't sweat this so much. Your career will evolve with you to some extent based on the opportunites that present themselves. It is wise to have some idea of a general direction but if you don't have a clear direction yet, just go with the flow and seek out the more creative opportunities that come along. And have a bit of patience or you will wear out your bosses.
3) The most fun job I had was my first job out of school because all of my assignments were a stretch, they changed frequently because they were giving me the smaller projects, and I had fewer responsibilities and so fewer worries. After several years on the bench designing circuits I was pushed into management which made me miserable for about 4 years until I learned to adapt. Then I evolved into a hybrid of manager and senior designer which was always very interesting, sometimes fun, often profitable, but took years off my life due to huge responsibilities. So the best time was the beginning.
4) the most money in electronics is made by owning a piece of a successful electronics business. It is the businessman taking the risks and reaping the rewards that makes the most, so use your engineering career as a springboard into the business world. Start a company, build it up and then sell it. If you wanted an answer that chooses a particular branch of electronics, I would say that the best branch is whichever one that produces whatever products that are in the highest demand when you hit your career peak, say in about 6 to 10 years from now? Good luck in choosing that. I have no particularly useful insight into this question other than to say that I was lucky to focus on RF electronics prior to the explosion of RF technology that began in the 80's.

RadioRon said:
1) In my experience this is not true. The employees with key and strategic skills and knowledge have the best job security and these are usually those with the highest level of training and experience in engineering problem solving, usually engineers.
2) Don't sweat this so much. Your career will evolve with you to some extent based on the opportunites that present themselves. It is wise to have some idea of a general direction but if you don't have a clear direction yet, just go with the flow and seek out the more creative opportunities that come along. And have a bit of patience or you will wear out your bosses.
3) The most fun job I had was my first job out of school because all of my assignments were a stretch, they changed frequently because they were giving me the smaller projects, and I had fewer responsibilities and so fewer worries. After several years on the bench designing circuits I was pushed into management which made me miserable for about 4 years until I learned to adapt. Then I evolved into a hybrid of manager and senior designer which was always very interesting, sometimes fun, often profitable, but took years off my life due to huge responsibilities. So the best time was the beginning.
4) the most money in electronics is made by owning a piece of a successful electronics business. It is the businessman taking the risks and reaping the rewards that makes the most, so use your engineering career as a springboard into the business world. Start a company, build it up and then sell it. If you wanted an answer that chooses a particular branch of electronics, I would say that the best branch is whichever one that produces whatever products that are in the highest demand when you hit your career peak, say in about 6 to 10 years from now? Good luck in choosing that. I have no particularly useful insight into this question other than to say that I was lucky to focus on RF electronics prior to the explosion of RF technology that began in the 80's.

Thats alot to think about thanks! :)

Bryan76 said:
Regarding your answer to (1), I asked asked about that. Being that engineers would have the knowledge to be a technician. His responce was that a company would let the engineer go instead of hiring him as a tech due to he would require the same pay.

Well, I wasnt thinking that an engineer would assume a tech position. Rather, the engineer has potential to leverage into other fields like programming, management etc... I think of it as having more _feasible_ options. It happens everyday.

Optikon said:
Well, I wasnt thinking that an engineer would assume a tech position. Rather, the engineer has potential to leverage into other fields like programming, management etc... I think of it as having more _feasible_ options. It happens everyday.

That sounds about right. Its sad that this instructor has scared quite a few students away from engineering.

I'm an Avionics Technician in the Air Force, and am studying Electrical Engineering part time

I'm staying within the Air Force to remuster to an Avionics Maintenance Engineer, and what better time considering the new upgrades (Aircraft) that will be within the RAAF by that time.

Perhaps considering a similar career path would ensure employment straight out of UNI, and provide support for continuation training/development within your field of expertise... I have already been exposed to many job opportunities around the world (as a technician) that offer pay rates of up to $120/hr

Job security is set in stone, and the pay (with entitlements like dirt cheap rent and free medical/dental/gym etc) make it rather comfortable, but I guess it depends what country you’re in too

Last edited:
Whatever career path you chose, if within the company you are working for, you don't move up the promotional ladder,
at least every two years, then you should move to another company.

I have made it a policy not to stay with a company for more than 5 to 6 years, it worked for me.

Sadly, the longer an employee stays with a company, the more he gets taken for granted, minimal progress
and leap frogged by new recruits.

After say 10 years stagnation in a company, the chances of being employed by another company decline,
as they are considered to have no ambition or drive.

If you can, when you have some experience, form your own company and work for yourself,
the risks are high, but so are the rewards.

Good Luck.

ericgibbs said:
Whatever career path you chose, if within the company you are working for, you don't move up the promotional ladder,
at least every two years, then you should move to another company.

As general advice I don't agree with this at all. One needs to determine what their goals are. If someone is interested inmoving up the chain of command then sure, move up or change strategy. But sometimes people do not want to move up for a variety of reasons (more responsibility, more time at work etc..)

You make it sound like you have to always be on the move to remain employable which, is simply wrong.

After 10 years, your chances for hiring in elsewhere decline?

You must have had some BAD experiences to draw these conclusions.

hi optikon,

>> One needs to determine what their goals are. If someone is interested inmoving up the chain of command then sure, move up or change strategy.
The remark was aimed at engineers who want to move up the ladder and get a chance at the more interesting projects.

>> But sometimes people do not want to move up for a variety of reasons (more responsibility, more time at work etc..)
This I understand and agree with you, if a guy is happy with his job and he decides to stay put, thats OK, I don't have problem with that.

>> You make it sound like you have to always be on the move to remain employable which, is simply wrong.
The moves have always been my decision, always moved to better position with more more money and
better job satisfaction and prospects.

I suspect the majority of engineers would jump at the chance of better pay and prospects,
most of us don't work just to pay the monthly bills.

After 10 years, your chances for hiring in elsewhere decline?
You must have had some BAD experiences to draw these conclusions

Some of this information was gathered speaking to my fellow workers who after being with same company for this length of time,
found it VERY difficult to get a new job and felt trapped.

Also, when I have interviewed people for engineering jobs, when looking thru their job record, to see they have been doing the same thing for the past 'n' years. Most of them had not kept upto date with technology as they had felt confident that their present job was secure.

I appreciate your views, thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back