Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electro magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
holla people.

i trying to make a 9volt elecromagnet.can any one help.
a part of my project.

i details in how many coil and windings would help.
a chart would help.
cause i totally forgot the theory, now i have to do the research all again.
i never thought that this be asked this irretates

thanks in advance

If you plan on using a 9 volt battery, it will be one short lived electromagnet.

You may be able to get a 9V battery to power the electromagnet for a reasonable period of time but it would require many turns of fine wire. The magnetic field of an electromagnet is determined by it's ampere-turns, so the more turns, the higher field for a given current.

For example 36AWG copper wire has a resistance of about 0.415Ω/ft. For 100mA of current, the needed wire coil resistance would be 9V/0.1 = 90Ω. This would require 90/0.415 = 216ft. of wire, giving 21.6 ampere-turns. Of course winding that much fine wire (36AWG is 5mil, about the size of a thick human hair) on a core without breaking it may require a coil winding machine.

You may be able to get a 9V battery to power the electromagnet for a reasonable period of time but it would require many turns of fine wire. The magnetic field of an electromagnet is determined by it's ampere-turns, so the more turns, the higher field for a given current.

For example 36AWG copper wire has a resistance of about 0.415Ω/ft. For 100mA of current, the needed wire coil resistance would be 9V/0.1 = 90Ω. This would require 90/0.415 = 216ft. of wire, giving 21.6 ampere-turns. Of course winding that much fine wire (36AWG is 5mil, about the size of a thick human hair) on a core without breaking it may require a coil winding machine.
Wouldn't that be 21.6 ampere-feet?:D
The number of turns would be dependent on the diameter of the coil.

And the actual strength of the magnet will depend highly on the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back