Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electro magnet saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biryets

:? I've made an DC electro magnet with a ferrite E core to lift metalic plates.
I know that by increasing the ampere turns(NI) on the core will increase the strength of the magnet.
I've been told that ferrite cores saturate at 0.3T.
I'm trying to use as little current as posible (to maximise power efficiency)
i find that even after squezing 250 turns and running 0.5A though the coils, the magnet is not saturated. (it is stronger when I run 1.0A though the coils)
Q1. is there a limit to how many turns(how little current) I can run through my E core?
Q2. Could someone give me an experiment to investigate saturation using DC? (i've tried measuring the voltage accross and the current through the core but all I get is a linear V=IR relationsip)

I'm sure there is something simple but I've failed to get my head around it. :oops:

Cheers
David

get more turns. it is not that hard tu put some wire and turn it.
increase the turns, maybe double them, but i suggest to stop after each 50 or so to see if it is working better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back