Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric bill reduction by disconecting appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

prprog

Is this true: By disconnecting the electrical appliances (or turning off the breaker box switch) the electric consumption can be reduce and therefore the electric bill reduce?

hi,
This would be true if the devices connected to the power circuit were being switched into 'standby' mode rather than being switched off.
E

EDIT:
some control 'timers' do have a non isolated mains power supply that uses a capacitor to limit the AC current into a low voltage internal supply.
The continuous limited current can be in the order of 30mA.
So if the timer is 'consuming' 230V * 0.03A = 0.7Watt, if you run the timer unit 24/7, that works out at 0.7 * 24 * 365 =6KWhr pa.

Last edited:
Wow, we can save 6kWh/year, but is it worth doing?

First, one would only realize that full savings if the device were never turned on. If it is never turned on, why do you have the device?

Second, assuming it takes a few seconds to remember to turn something off, go to the device, turn it off, then turn it back on and wait for it to reboot when needed, how does the electric cost compare to the human labor cost?

Let's assume the turn off takes 4 seconds and is done 4 times/day. That is just 16 seconds per day or 5840 seconds (1.62 hours) per year. In the US, average cost for electricity is $0.12/kWh (https://shrinkthatfootprint.com/average-electricity-prices-kwh).

So, one saves $0.72 per year at the expense of 1.62 hours of labor, i.e., $0.44/h. I will pay anyone $4.40 /h for casual labor, but very few people are willing to do that. ;)

John

Last edited:
I measured all the power taken by standby devices on my telly / PC / satellite receiver etc etc and it worked out at around 50 watts with everything "off" in standby mode.

I purchased a remote control switch, put them all on a trailing socket (maximum 13A but with everything on using around 2A) and I save >£25 a year on my electricity bill by using a £5 switch.

The only main issue is the switch keeps breaking after a while - the relay gets stuck "on" so I return it to the shop and get another one.

Personally I have found that if I got rid of my wife I could save thousands of dollars a year. What's a few more cents in the end? :rolleyes:

Personally I have found that if I got rid of my wife I could save thousands of dollars a year. What's a few more cents in the end? :rolleyes:
If you turn down the heat, and sleep very close together you could save $5.00/year. That does not make up for the "thousands of dollars a year", but it is more fun.
I bet it is very cold in Sawyer tonight! "three dog night"

Actually I am over in Ankara Turkey this week! 50's at night 60's - 70's in the day and lots of sun! :joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back