Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earth Pole DC Motor (No Magnet Stator) - My design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Spiteri

Hi,
this is an Earth Pole DC motor which I designed and built.

It is very interesting and rewarding to to give it a try as it demonstrates profound concepts
with few components promoting further understanding of the concepts.

The polarity on the armature is shifted accordingly (+/-12V) instead of simply switching ON and Off.

The Unit is first aligned towards the North Pole which is the optimal position for fastest rotation, then it is rotated by 90 degrees to a bad position where the Motor slows down to a dead stop to indicate the North direction.

Blueprint: **broken link removed**

Schematic: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
This motor uses the earth's magnetic field to run.
If too many of these are allowed to run the earth will run out of magnetic energy. The earth will stop turning.

lol

Welcome to ETO, Brandon Spiteri!

Impressive. Both in concept and execution. I bet that was fun to make.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Ron, were you wondering why your compass was pointing towards the mountains instead of Wyoming?:nailbiting:

I was wondering why my compass was going around and around.

I am a little surprised that you can generate enough torque.

Cool, that would be good for teaching kids.
How many uses for a 555.

Brandon: Two thumbs up for a MARVELOUS AND INGENIOUS circuit!

This is the type of projects that would excite fertile young minds to follow a career in science or engineering.

And...when I thought I had seen everything that could be done with a 555, this is refreshing.

Are you still sceptic about the motor? :p
Not skeptical but.......
The amount of torque is about what you can get from a compass. That shows what a good bearing you made.
I think you have a compass, not with a fixed magnet, with a electrical magnet that you switch polarity on.
I think it has some problems starting.

Good work, thank you for showing us! I wish I had one.

Not skeptical but.......
The amount of torque is about what you can get from a compass. That shows what a good bearing you made.
I think you have a compass, not with a fixed magnet, with a electrical magnet that you switch polarity on.
I think it has some problems starting.

Good work, thank you for showing us! I wish I had one.

I agree - basically it's a nice toy, but nothing more - but it's impressive that he managed to make it rotate with such a weak stator 'magnet'.

However, for those who's repaired CRT colour TV's over the years the earth's magnetic field is obvious, as you see when you rotate a CRT colour set whilst it's switched on, as the purity is changed by the earth's magnetic field.

I wonder if he's tried using it as a generator?.

An earth field generator... now that would be awesome!

But the actual amount of power would be indeed, very tiny, with such a weak field.

I wonder if he's tried using it as a generator?.
Yes...should work.
rotate a CRT colour set whilst it's switched on, as the purity is changed by the earth's magnetic field
Also... on a monitor the picture will move and rotate a small amount. This is not seen on a TV because of over scan. On a monitor the edge of the picture might be 2mm off the edge of the basal so the picture movement is a real problem.

The other problem of course, it that it's VERY unimpressive :D

Fair enough, WE'RE all suitably impressed, but the vast majority of the public wouldn't be impressed at all - and wouldn't even know there's no stator magnet.

If you like little motors: Radiometer
It is not as cleaver as Brandon's motor.

$_12.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back