Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle, pads problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny2

I've been failing to create an accurate representation of an 11 pin tube-base by measuring the actual physical device and trying to draw it in the package editor. Here is what I have so far:

**broken link removed**

As you can see, I drew a layout circle, actually 10mm diameter on which to place the pads. The layout needs to be effectively 12 equally spaced pads with one removed. However, as you can see, I don't understand how to get the pad spacing correct.

If I could divide the circle with lines into accurate 30 degree segments, then I could just place the pads (less one) at the intersections of the segment lines and layout circle; but I don't know how ! Or is there a better way ?

Also, I thought it might be a good idea to change the shape of the pads to 'wedge shaped', thinking that more copper on the board would be a good thing. I can only seem to change pad shapes from circular to rectangular, or anything in between, but not 'wedge' shaped. How might I achieve that or a similar effect ?

I have not tried to search for a ready-made package solution, I'd prefer to learn how to draw it, with help of course !

Any info appreciated.

A little trig should be all you need to get lines at relatively accurate multiples of 30 degrees. Just keep in mind the line length relations of the standard 30-60-90 degree triangle, and pay attention to the X,Y coordinates that eagle shows you when you are moving the cursor around. Starting a line at the center, just keep the X and Y coordinates of the other endpoint in the right ratio - 1:sqrt(3) or vice versa - and you're set.

With that said, Russlk's idea sounds like a good one as well, and probably requires less work.

Last edited:
Yes, the rotation suggestion has worked well, thank you.

Started again from scratch with a 10mm circle, placed a vertically aligned pad 'north' of the origin on the circle, 'grouped' the whole thing, 'rotate r30' on the command line, right click to rotate the group, placed another vertically aligned pad ... repeat. Joy.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back